Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so it isn't a CBR650F, but the new 2019 CBR650R!
Just picked it up yesterday, along with a 2019 CB300R.

Currently stock, with now 34km on the clock...500km to run it in, should have that sorted on the weekend...unfortunately it has been hammering with rain this week, so I still ride it to work, but I don't need a long mountain ride in the wet just yet.

There are no real plans for it at this time, just a commuter for the work weeks.
I have the Project954 for my weekend fun when it is complete. So that is where all of my money will be going for the near future.

I am thinking though that I will be putting a new set of pipes, a PCV to match, and maybe just some nice lightweight parts to compliment the looks. I was going to buy a new Akra set for it along with the bike, but I am not a fan of the styling they have gone with unfortunately.
I will also be derestricting the bike when I am on my unrestricted licence in November. The AU version only comes in the 35kW LAMS-Approved version.
Apparently it is an hour at Honda to get it back to 70kW.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Looks great. I'd really been thinking about those as a general runabout, but instead have decided to wait and see what the 2020 Blade lineup is.

All the UK reports say the 650R is a great bike for both sports and touring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It feels like you lean forward quite a bit after coming off of the little CBR250R but so far is very comfortable.
I just can't believe how heavy modern bikes are...its 208kg wet compared to the 954 at 168kg...

It's also my first bike with ABS...

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I just can't believe how heavy modern bikes are...its 208kg wet compared to the 954 at 168kg...

It's also my first bike with ABS...
I think ABS adds about 12 kilos.

Further, and without looking at specs, you'd probably find the 650R isn't using as much lightweight materials as are used on the Blades. Still, 208 Ks is a massive hunk for what is a mid-size bike. That getting into my VF1000R category of 238K DRY!!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I’m sure the 650 uses a steel frame.
Yeah, that'll make a difference. For a general commuter, yes, fair enough, but for a sports bike I think manufacturers should think in the same mind set as their bigger bikes.

If a new rider to sports bikes enjoys a well-balanced say 500 or 650, they'll not only feel more inclined to buy the bigger 'brothers' but also find the transition period so much easier. I think here too of our Asian friends and lady riders whose stature and weight would far easier handle a 650 that weighs in at 180-ish.

Anyway, I had a look at a Matt Black at my Honda dealer yesterday (Sat) and might take a test ride on Wednesday when I get my 2018 Blade serviced. I'm a sucker for a good bike:smile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts