Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants a new car. She's real sick of the cherokee with 4 1/2" lift and 33" mud tires (which some of you may have seen 2 years ago at Grattan). Too much noise and vibration or something :idunno: .

She wants something like a WRX Sti or Lancer Evo but they're a bit too expensive right now. She looked at a saturn Ion Redline but everything I read said they're a piece of crap.

AWD would definitely be a bonus but not absolutely necessary. She definitely wants something that's peppy bordering on really fast but doesn't want to spend much more than $15,000. Used is ok as long as it's low miles and maintenance free for a while.

Anyone have any suggestions. I haven't shopped for a car, umm, ever, since I'm a truck guy. Lets hear it!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Since she likes the AWD/Turbo thing, how about a regular WRX instead of the STi? If it's not fast enough, the aftermarket is huge for them.

I've driven one and thought it was a fun car for the money.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Not sure "bordering on really fast but doesn't want to spend much more than $15,000" can come in the same package. I cant think of anything sporty with AWD besides the WRX.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
What about "cute utes"? Not very sporty but a 2-3 y/o CR-V, RAV4, Forester, Outlander would fit the budget.

What about an Outlander XT (I think) with the WRX motor? Or what about a non-wrx Impreza? At 165 horse they're not too shabby, and much cheaper, more reliable no doubt.... and you probably want to keep this car a long time.

AWD Matrix or Vibe, though not very sporty fits most of the criteria.

I'm thinking non-turbo Impreza RS might be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool, wasn't aware there was a wrx non-sti that came with turbo. I just saw a few on ebay, a couple years old, around 30k miles for around 15k. I hear subaru's are reliable and I know there is a ton of aftermarket support for wrx. I'm thinking this is what she will like. Any downside to a WRX??

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
MedTechRR said:
cool, wasn't aware there was a wrx non-sti that came with turbo. I just saw a few on ebay, a couple years old, around 30k miles for around 15k. I hear subaru's are reliable and I know there is a ton of aftermarket support for wrx. I'm thinking this is what she will like. Any downside to a WRX??
2 guys at work have the regular WRX...both love them to death and swear by them.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
Well, it's turbocharged, which means shorter life span for the engine. I guess it depends how long you intend to keep it.
Whatever that means.

My turbocharged pinto motor has over 130k miles on it.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Scout said:
I got 200k out of my Turbo'd Ford 4-banger T-Bird (before my *then* wife ran it out of oil while I was away, and shrapnelled my engine with the Turbo).
Same motor as in my SVO. Turbocharged Pinto (AKA Lima) motor. :)

Provided you don't detonate them (and you keep them full of oil!), they last forever. :thumb:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Turbo'd motors are usually reinforced with things like forged reciprocating assemblies, and better valve materials, to deal with the stresses.

I'd say the biggest challenge is underhood temps. But they deal with that fine too.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Not really. The shortblock is the same as a pinto basically. The only difference that is known for sure on the block itself is a fitting for the turbo oil return line. It's also theorized they used a different alloy in casting the block, but it's not confirmed anywhere I've looked. The regular Lima blocks get spun really hard in some racing applications, over 8500 RPM, so it's a pretty good piece. The SVO did get forged, low compression pistons, but I believe the crank and rods are the same.

For the SVO, they do put an oil cooler on it (sandwiched between the filter and block, same thing they did on the police 5.0s) and used a better head and a multiport fuel injection system (I think it was the first Ford used on a passenger car actually). Stock they made like 215 HP in 85.5 and 86. It's really easy to get them to about 275 HP. After that, you have to look at new turbos and a FMIC unless you're willing to run race gas. Also, much over 300HP and you should be looking at bigger injectors. But the shortblocks are good well over 300 HP if you keep the motor out of detonation, and you keep the intake charge temps within reason (with a good intercooler and appropriate turbo).

Who'da thunk the Pinto had something worthwhile in it? ;)

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
A guy that worked for me had an SVO... he ended up blowing it up at the strip. Too much boost and not big enough injectors, I guess it just ran too lean.

One of my bosses has an 11 second Grand National... now that's a stealthy car.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Dad bought a Grand National brand new back in the day. Sweet car, but it was a lemon and ended up going back to GM with lawyers involved.

Yeah, you have to be careful with the SVO leaning out on you. At 300 HP (for the 85.5 and 86 which was ugraded to 36 pound injectors, the early cars had 30 pounders, they have to go REAL early in the mod cycle), the 36 pound injectors are pretty much running a 100% duty cycle, a small mistake will cause you catastrophic problems.

Turbos are most certainly more picky about the tune you put into them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts