What i Have tested so far:
Pulse Generator coils - both reading 375 ohms
Wiring from Pulse generator to CDI - No open circuits
Wiring from CDI to coils - No open circuits
Primary coil (1 and 4) - 3 ohms
Primary coil (2 and 3) - 3 ohms
Secondary coil (1 and 4) - 16 Kohms
Secondary coil (2 and 3) - Open circuit

Any way of testing the CDI? haynes manual for the CBR400 RR models mentions no test data (take to dealer for diagnostic)

I realise i may need a new ignition coil but that only explains no spark on cylinders 2 and 3.

Anyone had experience of problems with CDI and has anyone replaced theirs with a newer version i.e from a tri-arm (9 wire) as they seem to be the only ones available on Ebay Derestricted CDI Ignition for Honda CBR400RR NC23 Ignitor Ignition | eBay

The only difference i can see is my CDI does not have the green ground wire.

Thanks in advance for any help

p.s new ngk spark plugs fitted few weeks back

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
HI Guys new here but struggling to get a spark on my aero
Been testing all day today and cant solve the problem

What i Have tested so far:
Pulse Generator coils - both reading 375 ohms
Wiring from Pulse generator to CDI - No open circuits
Wiring from CDI to coils - No open circuits
Primary coil (1 and 4) - 3 ohms
Primary coil (2 and 3) - 3 ohms
Secondary coil (1 and 4) - 16 Kohms
Secondary coil (2 and 3) - Open circuit

Any way of testing the CDI? haynes manual for the CBR400 RR models mentions no test data (take to dealer for diagnostic)

I realise i may need a new ignition coil but that only explains no spark on cylinders 2 and 3.

Anyone had experience of problems with CDI and has anyone replaced theirs with a newer version i.e from a tri-arm (9 wire) as they seem to be the only ones available on Ebay Derestricted CDI Ignition for Honda CBR400RR NC23 Ignitor Ignition | eBay

The only difference i can see is my CDI does not have the green ground wire.

Thanks in advance for any help

p.s new ngk spark plugs fitted few weeks back
It was running fine though before it lost spark?
Have you tested the kill switches?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it hasn't been running for a while but it did have spark only discovered last week there was no spark.
Was getting carbs cleaned as been stood awhile and on rebuilding the bike couldn't get a spark.

I noticed a few broken wires but spliced them together and tested and all seems fine on the wiring front.

I've tested all necessary switches kill switch and clutch switch all gave low resistance when required.

I'm an electrician to trade so wiring repairs are routine all connections where soldered where required and crimps replace where needed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so tested switches again

Killswitch - 0.03 ohms
Clutch Switch - 0.05 ohms

12V supply traced to black/white trace on CDI, also traced to primary coils 1 and 2 and fuel cut off relay

Also tests diode for continuity and was ok

Still no spark I'm running out of things to check, only thing is the CDI, anyone ever managed to test one of these??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys,

just read your posts on here and I'm in the same situation - CBR400 RH Aero (1987). Been stood for 3 or 4 years, cleaned the carbs etc, new battery but no spark at all.

Did you manage to sort the problem? I'm not too good with electrics and would like to ask for some help, hope you don't mind.:idunno:

Many Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hay Jamie

Yeah i did solve the problem I'm not exactly sure what the problem was but i cleaned all the electrical connectors in relation to the coils this include the ones at the CDI and rectifier, i dismantled mine using a small flat bladed driver preferably a precision kit it quite an easy job and try to source some electrical cleaner maplin have good stuff! give them a good polish with a rough cloth and the cleaner. also remember where the cores came from as a wrong connection could ruin your CDI
I also replace the HT leads with high quality ones, make sure and get copper wire and not the carbon centres as you cannot push on the plug caps also make sure that if you do buy new HT leads that they are 7mm and not 8mm as they will not fit in the coil.

Hope you can solve the problem. I was over the moon at mine starting again after so long :smilebig:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Craig,

Huge thanks for that mate, I'll give that a go and let you know what happens - feel much better about it now, :D.

Bought a multi meter yesterday but still not sure how to use it, lol!

Thanks again,

Cheers, Jamie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts