Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 929 last year and the selling told me it had a new chain and sprocket...so I kept in on there and road all summer withthat chain and sprocket. My question is should I replace the chain and sprocket for the up coming season? I put about 7000 miles on this chain and spock not to mention whatever the previous owner had put on since replacing it. If so what brand is good? FYI I think Im going to keep the teeth number stock unless someone tells me otherwise...

·
Registered
737 Posts
So I bought my 929 last year and the selling told me it had a new chain and sprocket...so I kept in on there and road all summer withthat chain and sprocket. My question is should I replace the chain and sprocket for the up coming season? I put about 7000 miles on this chain and spock not to mention whatever the previous owner had put on since replacing it. If so what brand is good? FYI I think Im going to keep the teeth number stock unless someone tells me otherwise...
Depends on the condition of the current chain and sprockets. Did you clean and lube the chain after every ride? Have you been adjusting it as needed? Does the chain have tight spots in it when you suspend the rear wheel and then rotate it?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have to admit I didn't lube after EVERY ride..I did lube often though. I think Ill replace regardless....but which brand does everyone recommend?

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you are going to replace make sure you replace it all (both sprockets and chain)

I would personally use a DID chain with steel sprockets front and rear (either JT sprockets or Sunstar sprockets).

If you don't wanna spend that kinda money I'd say get an RK or EK quick acceleration (-1 in the front) 520 conversion kit. You can normally find them for around $150 give or take depending on where you are located.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
DID x ring is the best chain in my opinion, if you are happy with the stock gearing there would be no need to change.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If I were going to buy the chain and spockets seperately and wanted to go -1 up front what do I need? Normal chain?

I'd recommend doing the 520 conversion. Order same size sprockets and chain.

Basiclly if the chain is a 520, 525, 530 ect ect the sprockets need to be the same.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a regina x-ring and love it. I also have the stock sprockets front and rear new with the rear coated black really cheap, save a little change. I would change the chain along with sprockets

·
Registered
240 Posts
IMO no reason to go 520 on a streetbike. It wears out faster and is a small enough change that you almost certainly won't notice it.

If you're changing the gearing you'll notice that, but you won't notice the difference in chain weight.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
IMO no reason to go 520 on a streetbike. It wears out faster and is a small enough change that you almost certainly won't notice it.

If you're changing the gearing you'll notice that, but you won't notice the difference in chain weight.
:plus1: :thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
afam chain and sprocket red chain looks the dogs nuts....or else gold afam chain and supersprocks sprocket it has steel teeth and alu inner sick job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts