Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install a new chain for the first time, and I am wondering if I should clean the chain before I install it? ( it looks like it was shipped with packing grease of some sort.) Any help would be great. Thanks..

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I pondered the same thing but left it on. You'll have a little bit of a mess after a few rides. Clean it up, then follow standard lube schedule (whatever your's may be). I found a gooey pile near the front sprocket cover, cleaned it up, used some WD40 then lubricated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply SuperDave, I am debating if I should clean it in Kerosene and then relube it as normal or just put it on. ( How much of a mess are we talking about if I don't clean it first? )

·
Registered
198 Posts
I cleaned mine after install and before I rode with it. It looked like white lith. grease maybe. I wasnt sure so I did it that way. Then the first ride was with normal chain wax, and its been super smooth ever since. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
cbr900rr-FB said:
Thanks for the reply SuperDave, I am debating if I should clean it in Kerosene and then relube it as normal or just put it on. ( How much of a mess are we talking about if I don't clean it first? )
It wasn't bad, some on the back rim and that little gooey build up on the bottom of the front sprocket cover (like smitty replied white lith. grease). Either way you go, I think you'll be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts