Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new cheap computer for my 5 year old son. He likes learning games and the such. My question is what is the difference between a Celeron and a P4, also the AMD chips. I want something that will last a few years and maybe load a decent game on. Suggestions? :idunno:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Pretty much as a rule, if you want cheap, you do not get 'decent' games. PC games are pretty much the driver of advanced technology in the consumer PC market.

·
Registered
527 Posts
sign up for dell's news letter. they'll send you emails on deal galore. they had a p4 with ht with 15 or 17" flat panel for something like $549. with 512mb of memory. you can get a cheap graphics card and be able to play decent games.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I say stick with a Pentium personally.

If you can make sure it's a 775 socket type processor and a pci video card. The 775 socket on certain motherboards allows for dual cores. These are relatively new formats and will allow for upgrades later on while the current popular 478 sockets are becoming legacy. One thing to make sure is that the computer you buy is not all integrated, meaning the video card is separated from the motherboard. I also suggest having at least 1gig of ram. Either buy an ram chip later on that matches or buy it all outright. Dell as well as other manufacturers have a tendency to build machines that are not upgradeable, sure they'll work now but in 4 years you can toss it out.

I would also consider building one yourself. It might be a bit more expensive but you'll get a much better machine and you'll have a great understanding as to how a computer actually works. If you can change the oil in your bike, you can build a PC, all you gotta do is follow the directions just like building a model. Another advantage of building your own is that the BIOS is not locked, that means you can go in a tweak the PC to get optimal performance out of every part you buy. Example: I have a 2.53 ghz processor running at 3.12 ghz, then I overclocked my graphics card up about 20%, you can't do that with a Dell.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would also consider building one yourself. It might be a bit more expensive but you'll get a much better machine and you'll have a great understanding as to how a computer actually works. If you can change the oil in your bike, you can build a PC, all you gotta do is follow the directions just like building a model. Another advantage of building your own is that the BIOS is not locked, that means you can go in a tweak the PC to get optimal performance out of every part you buy. Example: I have a 2.53 ghz processor running at 3.12 ghz, then I overclocked my graphics card up about 20%, you can't do that with a Dell.

I always wanted to do this. I'll figure out what I'm going to do. I'll make sure it's a P4, but I don't know if I will build it myself or not.

Thanks guys:thumb:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Stay as far away from Dell as you can. I've got horror stories galore of their hardware failing and just generally being a POS. Dell = headaches.
I agree..................... Although I have a Dell Dimension 8100..... ? I think ? desktop thats been taking a beating for the past couple of years and wont die. Recently I have been using a Toshiba Notebook as my main means of destruction......... And I love it. :evilaugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts