Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier tonight I had the great privilege of getting together with a fellow FireBlades.org forum member - 'Trouble', who lives not too far away from me.

We had spoken before about the nearest track day opportunities, etc., and I told him I was looking forward to my first track day later this summer. He offered to meet me at a nearby VERY twisty and quiet mountain road, to teach me a little bit of what he's learned over the years.

We picked out a nice four-mile stretch and he followed me up the hill. He then offered some suggestions on my riding position (feet too far forward on the pegs, toes pointing down - bad!; my arms were way too stiff, I was sitting up too straight, etc.).

Then he followed me down the hill and watched my improved technique. Next suggestions were to learn to accelerate through the turns to take some of the pressure off the front wheel and spread it over the whole bike. I rode up and down the hill in third gear only, without using brakes, and practiced controlling my speed going into the turns, and accelerating through and out of them. Felt weird at first (especially downhill), but gradually I became more relaxed at it.

Last was to look further ahead through the turn while doing the above, and using my peripheral vision more. This time up the hill - wow! It just suddenly all came together, and I was just nailing the turns, feeling very natural, much faster and safer. Major grin factor!

I know a lot of this is probably really basic to most of you, but I was amazed. I thought I was a pretty good rider already, but this was a great learning experience, and showed me how much I have to learn - and how much better the joy of riding can become.

I am most grateful to Trouble for passing along some of his wisdom, and to this forum for making it possible!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Sounds like you had fun. It's great to have someone point out the things you can improve on. A video camera works good too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You'd be surprised at the amount of people who own superbikes, but have yet to feel/ride the way you just have. It is such a sweet feeling to start riding like that.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
cool. Where in Iderho?
J

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time!

I remember the day I was introduced to countersteering. I had just bought my first bike, and my friend talked me through the principles of it. When I took the bike out to try it, the light bulb went off, the riding was so much easier, and a new world of riding opened up for me. I now love to talk to new riders, and explain the techniques I've learned and watch THEIR eyes light up when they come back and tell you how excited they are about what they just did! Things we now do naturally, easily, and automatically, were anything but that before someone taught us how to do them.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Very happy for you bwhip. A lot of us can go pretty fast in the twisties, but doing it correctly is a whole 'nother deal. Now I need to find a mentor in my area

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bacchus : Very happy for you bwhip.  A lot of us can go pretty fast in the twisties, but doing it correctly is a whole 'nother deal.  Now I need to find a mentor in my area  
We're starting to get some of that Bacchus weather here - 97 yesterday (tied the record for that date). Just a week ago I was freezing on my ride (50 degrees, cloudy and windy), now it's hot!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The really strange part was actually learning to accelerate through the turns while going downhill. Your natural tendency is to brake through the turn, not give it gas, but once you start doing it, it certainly does take some of the pressure off the front wheel and makes the turn a lot easier. Pretty cool stuff!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts