Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heads up if you havent seen them, I just opened a bunch of new systems and set them up on the rack to begin prep work, to my suprise the RIGHT side of the case is the side that opens now :rant:

theres no ps2 connectors anymore either :mad: Bye-bye KVM switch :hi:

So now I have to re-arrange my whole work are for these things, since this is what we build all our systems from.

I was able to reconfigure things so I dont have to move my chair anymore so I can be lazy and get fat all winter :cool: but at the cost of 7 keyboards and 7 mice all around me :googly:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
:rotfl:

I've never seen someone hate Dells like you ND.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Except for me. They are total crap and I have a client with over 100 defective units sitting in boxes in a room waiting for return authorizations (some may actually go out of warranty before that happens). So far they are approaching a 25% failure rate within the first 10 hours of use. This isn't isolated to a single production run either, as this has been "the norm" for over three years now.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
That is incredible.

Is it a particular model?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Dell:rockets:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Man... I've recommended and deployed hundreds of Dell desktops, laptops, and servers over the years. Very few problems. We had a laptop die after about a month, and someone came by with a box the same day we reported the problem. We shipped it later that day, and it was returned FIXED the next day! I have seen a lower failure rate with Dell than any other other brand.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
abtech said:
Except for me. They are total crap and I have a client with over 100 defective units sitting in boxes in a room waiting for return authorizations (some may actually go out of warranty before that happens). So far they are approaching a 25% failure rate within the first 10 hours of use. This isn't isolated to a single production run either, as this has been "the norm" for over three years now.
'Nuff said. Not to mention all the DOA stuff :rant: You couldn't PAY me to take any of their systems no matter how cheap they are. They have nice monitors, I'll give 'em that but that's probably because they don't build them.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:idunno: my laptop has provided me with years of faithfull service, up until a month ago-ish I didnt have a problem with it. I bought a dell refurb monitor so I could have a FP in my college years, just hoping it would last til I graduated and that still works great. The systems I build serve as secuirty system DVR's and most of the systems work rock solid. So I like the quality but these new systems are so hard to work inside.

·
Registered
39 Posts
:sniper: Get an Apple....it's so nice having a system that JUST WORKS!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
luvtolean said:
That is incredible.

Is it a particular model?
5 different desktop models and at least 3 different notebooks. This client has more than 200K machines worldwide and Dell claims they can only take a handful of returns from each office at a time or it will swamp their repair chain, so the client has to become a "holding facility" for Dell. Each time a shipment of new machines comes in, this room just gets fuller from the DOAs. Their field service won't even attempt to fix them on site anymore, as they would need to be there full time.

One department insists on using IBMs (now Lenovo) and they have had less than 1 failure per 200 desktops since 01'.

I have another smaller client that uses Dells and they are reasonably happy, although they always overwrite the drives with a generic image to get rid of all the OEM crap installed as it conflicts with several applications.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
ConqSoft said:
This isn't Wintel vs Apple, this is Dell vs other Wintels. There are other threads for the former. ;)
:pointup: That's the virus problem I was alluding too.... ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts