Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, call me stupid, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to replace the grips on my 2001 929. The ones that came on it feel like their made of stone and they cause my throttle hand to go numb after a couple of miles.

I got the old grips cut off, but my problem is with the bar ends. I've unscrewed the screws on the end, which releases the bar ends slightly, but they still wont come out. I stripped away all of the old grip glue and it looks like there's a snap ring or something inside the bar, where the post for the bar end goes in.

Is there a trick, or is it just brute force? I don't want to try the latter unless I know it's the only method..

Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hold the bar end still and unscrew it. It should come right off. There is a clip that holds the inner handlebar weight in. The bar end screws into the internal weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I spent some time on them and brute force looks like the only answer.
I finally got the throttle side off and it looks like the previous owner put full strength loctite on the screws. I still can't get the clutch side off. I guess I'm gonna have to drill off the screw head, slide the bar end off and take some pliers to it. I still don't have a clutch side grip for now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts