Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my bike apart and was thinking about picking up some 954 heads for cheap. Are there any differences in the 929 vs. 954 heads?

Leaving the bottom the same and cam the same and just replacing the heads would I see any hp gains?

While the 954 heads are out I believ it would be a good idea to smooth out the exhaust ports for better flow. Any input on this?

Thanks for all your advice.

Theo
YellRR

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Not worth it. And don't try a home rolled port job. Most people screw it up.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
A couple of members here have sent heads out to have it done, which is good, I think someone even has a head with oversized valves for sale. I don't know if they know what kind of gains they got.

But a 954 head is no different than a 929 from everything I've been told.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
There ya go.

Also, if you do it, budget in after market cams and I'd get some Ti retainers installed. Of course, you'll need a PCIII and a custom mapping session. To do this right, you'll spend $1.5-2k.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
luvtolean said:
There ya go.

Also, if you do it, budget in after market cams and I'd get some Ti retainers installed. Of course, you'll need a PCIII and a custom mapping session. To do this right, you'll spend $1.5-2k.
I've always run the stock cams in the head I have for sale with great success. Even run it w/o the PC (had to send PC back to dynojet during this time - faulty unit) and the bike still ran stronger than before the head was installed. Not saying or recommending not getting the PC to richen up the mixture a bit, just speaking from experience.

LTL, out of curiousity, what would be the benefit of the Ti retainers, do they wear better?:idunno:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I used them with aftermarket cams. They're easier on the spring and less weight allows the valvetrain to follow the cam lobe better (less float).

Stock cams I wouldn't mess with them.

Did you do any before and after dyno work with your head?

My cams didn't make much power with a stock head. I wanted to try porting, but got tired of spending time and money on stuff that wasn't netting me HP gains.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
luvtolean said:
I used them with aftermarket cams. They're easier on the spring and less weight allows the valvetrain to follow the cam lobe better (less float).

Stock cams I wouldn't mess with them.

Did you do any before and after dyno work with your head?

My cams didn't make much power with a stock head. I wanted to try porting, but got tired of spending time and money on stuff that wasn't netting me HP gains.
The only results from the head work I have are "seat of the pants" results. The results were quite impressive, it feels as if I gained more than the combination of the Micron Serpent full system (I used to have, now have an Arata) and the PC with the head work (before the oversized exhaust valves were installed). With the exhaust valves being 1mm larger, it seems to have helped even a bit more.

With the new head I bought (used from another member parting out the FX bike) I left the aftermarket Web cams with Erion specs installed. They definately helped above the 7-8k mark, but below was awful and the end result was to go back to the stock cams for this head also. I don't have any hp comparisons with the aftermarket vs stock cams. Unfortunately I probably will not bother doing so as I wasn't liking the unpredictable power the aftermarket cams provided. As you know, the aftermarket cams definately pull much harder through the redline. I've heard you can adjust the powerband a bit using adjustable cam sprockets, maybe to gain a bit more midrange? Something I may be willing to try, but lack experience to do so myself.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Dan K and I played with adjustable cam sprockets for hours...and found nothing on the dyno.

Guess I should've done headwork rather than cams. ;)

Erion has several specs. The cams I have are similar to the Erion street cams.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Good to hear from others with experience.:thumb: The spec sheets I got from Web Cams states that the cams I have are "exclusive for erion racing," whatever that means?:idunno: Perhaps they offer different specs to the AMA teams as these were in an Annadale(sp?) race bike?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
When I called Erion, they had to specs of cams. "Street cams", which were pretty close to the Moris I bought, and "race cams", which were much more radical and necessitated different springs and retainers.

I chose to get the street ones as I didn't port the head, and Erion wouldn't tell me specs, valve clearances (even if they'd interfere!)with stock pistons, or even spring replacement intervals.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I polished my exhaust ports. If I had it to do over again I don't think I'd do it unless I could do a very good flow test before and after. All I did was clean up the casting marks and the steps between the seats and head.

One thing you should do while your bike's apart is inspect the height of your cam lobes. Mine were worn down quite a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts