Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, thought I would introduce myself, longtime Blade owner since late 90s, been through 6 Blades in that time, active on the UK 1000rr forum for many years.
Decided the 1000s don’t fit my needs or UK roads where I live at present, and need to travel at a more sedate speed to keep my license intact.
Currently running a 94 RRR and a 92 NC30.
Picked up the Blade, after selling a 2014RRE I wasn’t using much about a month ago that I had from new, pretty good condition and stacks of history back to original purchase, so far rebuilt calipers, new EBC HHS, and dropped all fluids, clayed and polished and waxed all panels, new BT016Pros, new can on order as the Quill is blown and not a carbon fan, then at end of season, will top end service and recon suspension and rear end bushes, then hopefully will be trouble free for a couple of years. All panels are OEM and original dates from build and crack free, tanks clean and unmarked, discs are straight and runs clean and carbs seem in sync and pulls glitch free, so pleased with the base bike, and an RRR was what I was searching for so all good so far.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Hi and welcome. Were you 'KentBlade' on the other forum?:cool: You'll get on well here; all the stalwarts love carbies!!:)

Nice pick up with the '94. Looks to be in mint condition.

VFR's a different ball game. Always wanted one; nearly bought a couple (at different times) but bailed out due to condition and my pedantic requirements.:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I am, and yes took me 2 years and many abortive viewings to find the right NC, had it 6 years now and it’s been stripped and rebuilt with modern components as it was stock and only 11K miles from new, it’s for riding not polishing so needed the major service items and hoses and all wheel and frame bearings replacing to make sure it wouldn’t spit me off when I least wanted it to :cool:

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
Welcome Kent! And @nigelrb is right, a lot of old dogs here who LOVE CARBS! Great introduction, and welcome to the family (y)

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Welcome as @IanDoohan has already said, we love these early carbed bikes, I used to own a very similar RR-R they’re really good to ride, probably the sweet spot of the earlier Blades, you’ll love owning it.

I do know where there is a correct black silencer available if you are interested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome as @IanDoohan has already said, we love these early carbed bikes, I used to own a very similar RR-R they’re really good to ride, probably the sweet spot of the earlier Blades, you’ll love owning it.

I do know where there is a correct black silencer available if you are interested.
Cheers Gunk, just read through your UT resto, good work matey, and nice replacement RRP.

As for the silencer, its not on my tick list thanks, I have a can awaiting build to my spec with Pipewerx, they are just running behind due to the backlog of lockdown.

As for the bike, only time ridden it was the day I picked it up, being an engineer by trade, I have this annoying issue called OCD, or as the wife prefers to say ‘just leave the bloody thing alone and just ride them’.
So the bike has been in pieces in the garage, whilst I sadly have to satisfy myself everything is in order.
Good news is that all the panels are OEM, correct date stamps and damage free with matching datatag numbers. So they have all been clayed, polished, waxed and sealed.
Found a number of fasteners with age damage to the hex heads and /or wrong ones in the right holes, Mr Silver has profited to the tune of £35 to replace them correctly, as always 80% of the price is the instance of Honda putting everything in single bags rather than selling a job lot, don’t even want to think how much I have dumped on fasteners over the last 40 years of motorcycling.
Calipers were dirty as always, so stripped and rebuilt them, largely due to peeps using poxy coppergrease, and replaced the organic pads with a set of EBC HHs as Mr Honda can stick his OEM pad prices where the sun don‘t shine.
Flushed the coolant out and run a cleaner, new oil and filter. Resisted temptation at this stage to fit a full set of Samcos, but no doubt will at some stage.
Checked the charging system is metering correct on all components, dealer did fit new OEM RR and a Yuasa when I purchased it.
Changed the headlamp bulbs and running light for items that will get me seen a little easier than the washed out originals.
Service manual states valves were checked and values given at 32K, but don’t trust anyone so winter will see a top end check over and carb balance, while at the same time the front and rear suspenders will get a full refurb with spring values I like, at the same time will change all the rear suspension bushes for the hell of it as they are probably all 26 years old.
Apart for that all is tickety boo as they say.
Looks 95% OEM.

Now the downer, after all of that, blew my left knee out during a workout last week, so until an MRI shows what damage is done I’m gonna be more looking at it than riding it, and if the worst shows up will be bringing the winter schedule forward, so might be a while before I ride it again.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
. . . as always 80% of the price is the instance of Honda putting everything in single bags rather than selling a job lot, don’t even want to think how much I have dumped on fasteners over the last 40 years of motorcycling. . .
Been there myself. Our problem is that most aftermarkets have a smaller head size or no flange - especially in the case of some fairing and fender screws. For 'general' fixing I find Speedy Fasteners | Fairing Bolts | Fairing Bolt Kits | Fairing Clips | Screen Bolts | Dzus Fasteners | Lotus Elise Bolt Kits | Elise Undertray Bolts | Fixings for Cars & Motorcycles very good, but of course know that there are many similar suppliers.

Hope the knee recovery won't be too complicated. Reminds me to take it easy with squats this coming week now that my gym has re-opened! (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very nice bike.

That's the first 900RR I've seen with an upper fairing brace mounted on the frame like that. The 900RR's I've seen have the brace mounted on the two bolts that hold the front of the fuel tank on the frame. Is this bike an exception or was it like that on earlier models?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They mounted the cowl brace differently from the SC33 96 model RRT in the UK, the SC28s were mounted on the side of the main spars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts