Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i ended up getting some new pilot powers.. couple of questions

the tire guy said hes put em on 38f and 40r and thats what you should run em on. i havent quite done the 50k's or whatever they say you gotta do before the sticky sht wears off and i can start giving em a work out.. but the bike sort of dips in a certain point when i lean into a basic corner. feels weird. maybe its just thats the way they should always feel but its like they are too pumped up and im passing the edge.. if ya know what i mean. i asked him if i go out on the twisties should i drop em down and he goes no only when you on the track drop them 10 psi to 30 and 31. i was thinking whats the difference.. if im out on the twisties i should have em down low aswell for maximum grip.. long standing argument about tire pressures i know but if someone can give me a relative ball park figure on what i should be running on the street for every day use, twisties if i go on a long ride, and track if i go....

any feedback on how i should run these in or anything would be good too

cheers

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Do as the tire rep suggested. You think you are heating up the tire on the street but you are not getting them to track temps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i run the pilot powers, and have found 36psi (front and back) to be a good medium for all the riding i do. i run the canyons, and all the basic commuting, street and highway.

·
Registered
454 Posts
SpikedLemon said:
32/34 worked well for me... I've had them as high as 38 but they were too hard and didn't give any feedback
:plus1: 32/34 or 33/35 works well on the street.

On the track, use the 20% pressure growth method to work out the best pressure (you know, take a reading before a session and a reading after, the after reading should be 20% higher than the before reading if you've got it right - the pressure increase indicates the tyre is running in it's temperature range)...a 30/30 set-up is a good start point on the track.

Good luck, Spanky.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Every time I get a new set of tires it feels like the bike falls in SO much easier- the reason being the profile is fresh and not flattened down. Last time it was REALLY bad because I went on a 1700 mile trip and quite a bit of it was vertical riding. I should have taken them to the drag strip.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I too have Pilot Powers and I don't understand this changing the manufacturer tire pressure suggestion could someone explain to the newby why we decrease the pressure so much?

·
Registered
347 Posts
what you're hearing really aren't drastic pressure drops. for an 02' 954, the manual calls out for 42 psi rear, and 36 psi front. i like 36 psi f/r. it's more of whats comfortable to you and fits your riding style and where you ride. factors such as the suspension set up are also going to influence what psi people are running.

·
Registered
554 Posts
anthmac said:
well i ended up getting some new pilot powers.. the bike sort of dips in a certain point when i lean into a basic corner. feels weird. maybe its just thats the way they should always feel but its like they are too pumped up and im passing the edge..
I changed from 3 sets of Bridgestone BT012s to the Power Pilots and was a little perturbed at first by the "different" way they behaved. They are a tire that wants to lean, sort of like they are pointy and as soon as you lean a little they want to lean a lot. I posted a thread just like yours when I first used them. They are just different and you will soon get used to them.....and will never look back. They are an awesome tire and stick like shit to a blanket!!

p.s. I ran 36F 42R and had no problem.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
anthmac said:
i havent quite done the 50k's or whatever they say you gotta do before the sticky sht wears off and i can start giving em a work out..
I'm hoping thats just a typo and you meant slippery shit. whatever they used for a mold release compound on the PP isn't as slipepry as the stuff that has been used in the past. I had my current set scrubbed in the first day, probably under 75 miles. Just progressively lean them further and further.

Michelin reps say (so I've read) to run these tires at higher psi even on the track. up around the high 30s, very low 40s even. I run mine around mid-high 30s and they feel pretty good, street only.

·
Registered
454 Posts
tribaltim said:
I too have Pilot Powers and I don't understand this changing the manufacturer tire pressure suggestion could someone explain to the newby why we decrease the pressure so much?
The bottom line is to increase grip...lower pressure means more tire flex (and a larger contact patch with the road), more flex means more heat, more heat means a greater chance for us "normal" riders to get the tyre up into it's design heat range, which in turn means more (or optimum) grip :) .

·
Registered
29 Posts
my 2 cents: i have pilot powers and run em at 36 front and rear. i'm pretty light and they tend to deflect off obstacles violently if i run em any harder. i ride on horrendous roads (seriously, ask any other riders from eastern mass) but i love these tires! hopefully they hold up, i used to run 208's and the difference is night and day

1 - 14 of 14 Posts