Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just logged back on and is says my last login was 2009 :eek:

Oh well now I got another project blade.

My last one was this 954rr. I sold her .. apparently in 2009.
954rr.jpg

Now I have this 929 beauty!
1404361445807[1].jpg

So the last owner was an idiot and bedlinered some stuff and then painted over it so the bike will be getting stripped down and re-painted. Need some advice on what color to go with this time!

Also gotta pull alot of stuff off and clean up the rust. Hawaii is rough on any bare hardware etc.

Gonna be fun :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Im stripping mine down this winter and doing an all white fairing kit, with everything else being carbon fiber, the seats are going to be custom made with the name of the bike as well as black carbon fiber looking material (way more comfortable than actual fiber though haha), white and black limited edition D3 grips I just put on, and carbon fiber respol logo on the bottom fairings on either side, with smoked out lights and windscreen. The possibilities are endless!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey now calm down with the bed liner hating. I just bed linered my 954's frame, sub frame, lower bracket, and swing arm to save some money till I can get them PC'd. I actually think they turned out pretty good, but I am definitely not keeping it that way.
Bedliner? or plastidip. If you did the bedliner and prepped properly, good luck getting it off. Plastidip would work alot better because it will peel right off.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Bedliner? or plastidip. If you did the bedliner and prepped properly, good luck getting it off. Plastidip would work alot better because it will peel right off.
Spray can bed liner is what I used. Everything that I did in the bed liner will be blasted and then PC'd over the winter. I just wanted to be able to ride some this summer. I PM'd you a few pics, you can post them if you want. I don't like hijacking other people's threads.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I couldn't get the bed liner off the tail fairing, so I had to get another one and it just came in. So now onto the fun of paint and putting everything back together again.

Looking for some color scheme ideas.

I really like this two tone, but with a different color than the light gray on top.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced the alternator cover gasket and now its leaking oil like crazy. I did notice that there were a couple of gouges on the mating surface so now i know why the previous owner had gallons of hondabond on there. any ideas for fixing this the right way? thicker gasket?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
not sure but might be able to have the surface shaved at a machine shop. how bad are the gouges?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not sure but might be able to have the surface shaved at a machine shop. how bad are the gouges?
I appears that the lower case has been repaired before, possibly even changed. The gouges are not serious enough to warrant a weld to fill it.

The leak appears to have stopped, posisbly from the gasket swelling. I hope to ride today and see if it starts again.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
yeah i was thinking if its not real bad you could probably even put a little jb weld in the groves n let it dry n file it smooth n hit it lightly with some sand paper. might sound kinda ghetto but i had a lowered 02 jetta that was super slammed n was on a gravel driveway n came down on a large rock that just busted a whole thru my oil pan, not like a little hole but a gaping pushed in rip kinda hole in the pan. i mixed up some jb weld n used a little window screen to reinforce it n it held for a long time. point being it held well on an oil exposed aluminium surface so surely a small amount filling the gouges in the mating surface would work fine. youd just need to get it smooth to the touch n nice n flat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little more Ultra-Gray allowed to pre-set for an hour on the engine side of the gasket seems to have sealed it up nicely.

With the first good ride, I have now noticed the head bearings are rough, gauge cluster fuse has blown from really crappy flush mount wiring, clutch cable is routed wrong and needs replacement.

Nothing like a nice project to keep you busy I suppose!

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,051 Posts
Nothing wrong with a good project, keeps you focused and dialed in with the machine. Keep up on the updates. Glad you solved the cover leak. Those can be pesky.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
you know just curious, with all the bikes ive had over the years ive never replaced a clutch cable on a street bike. ive had untold clutch cables break on dirt bikes but never a street bike. how do you usually tell they are in need of replacement? just gets to the maxed out point on the adjustments or?....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you know just curious, with all the bikes ive had over the years ive never replaced a clutch cable on a street bike. ive had untold clutch cables break on dirt bikes but never a street bike. how do you usually tell they are in need of replacement? just gets to the maxed out point on the adjustments or?....
Since the cable was routed wrong, its been rubbing on the front fairing support. Once the plastic around the cable is worn away, then metal sheathing inside starts rusting etc. At that point it is best to replace.

Adjustment changes are because of the clutch wearing, not usually the cable stretching.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I finally got serious about fixing a few things, boy sure glad I did!

First order of business was to dive into the rats nest of wiring that has been blowing my main fuse.

Took the front fairing off and found some good ol' flush mount copper stranded wrapped around a connector :rolleyes:

This mess...
DSC_0028-resized.JPG

Hmmm this radiator doesnt look attached right...
DSC_0029-resized.JPG

Okay got that mess cleaned up, now lets look at the head bearing to see why the front end is banging around. Well to get to that I gotta get this silly steering damper off.
DSC_0031-resized.JPG

Well the set screws are stuck, gotta drill those out.
Success!!
DSC_0035-resized.JPG
DSC_0036-resized.JPG

Head bearings look okay. The lock nut was one tooth too loose, so they both just backed off till they hit the upper triple.
DSC_0032-resized.JPG

The upper fairing stay really moves alot. The rubber is getting old and squishy, so I used a washer to compress the rubber a little bit extra.
DSC_0030-resized.JPG

Looking around and..... HOLY CRAP!!! :eek:
DSC_0033-resized.JPG
DSC_0034-resized.JPG
There is a bolt, but it only goes halfway across... very odd.
Something is seriously wrong here .. can anyone confirm this should be part# 90102-MCJ-000 ?

I'm glad I haven't been riding over about 30mph to work.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well I finally got serious about fixing a few things, boy sure glad I did!

First order of business was to dive into the rats nest of wiring that has been blowing my main fuse.

Took the front fairing off and found some good ol' flush mount copper stranded wrapped around a connector :rolleyes:

This mess...
View attachment 60357

Hmmm this radiator doesnt look attached right...
View attachment 60358

Okay got that mess cleaned up, now lets look at the head bearing to see why the front end is banging around. Well to get to that I gotta get this silly steering damper off.
View attachment 60360

Well the set screws are stuck, gotta drill those out.
Success!!
View attachment 60364
View attachment 60365

Head bearings look okay. The lock nut was one tooth too loose, so they both just backed off till they hit the upper triple.
View attachment 60361

The upper fairing stay really moves alot. The rubber is getting old and squishy, so I used a washer to compress the rubber a little bit extra.
View attachment 60359

Looking around and..... HOLY CRAP!!! :eek:
View attachment 60362
View attachment 60363
There is a bolt, but it only goes halfway across... very odd.
Something is seriously wrong here .. can anyone confirm this should be part# 90102-MCJ-000 ?

I'm glad I haven't been riding over about 30mph to work.
Here ya go man: 90102-MCJ-000 BOLT (12X183) $17.45

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All bolts are proper now. Higher mileage so I think I should look into the valve adjustment + cam tensioner. This bike seems a lot "noisier" up front than I remember my 954 being.

That said, some other things I noticed:

The front brakes seem sticky, or crunchy so to speak. The lever will feel fully engaged but only 50% braking until I squeeze really hard, then it will jump to 100%. Probably a caliper or master cylinder rebuild? The bike has braided lines all around.

The upper triple does not appear to be perfectly straight when riding straight. The bike handles fine however. Is there a recommended way to hang the bike and align the forks/triple ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I believe that the forks might be tweaked a little bit. At first I attempted to do that alignment with the bike on the ground following
guide. Simply loosening everything but the top triple and letting the forks realign.

I didnt feel that helped at all as it still appeared that the wheel was facing right with the upper triple perfectly straight.

So I decided to hang the bike.

I know I know ... probably not the proper way to do this!
DSC_0038[1].JPG
DSC_0039[1].JPG

Loosened everything and the LEFT fork was easy to slide up and down in the triple tree with just some very light taps of a rubber hammer, but the RIGHT fork was near impossbile to get to move. Granted I didnt pound very hard since the bike is hanging from rachet straps :D.

Slid the front axle back into the forks with everything loose and I feel that the front is noticeably pointing to the left when viewed from the front.
DSC_0043[1].JPG

When looking from the head down, it appears to me that the LEFT brake bracket is slightly outward from center, and the RIGHT bracket is slightly inward.
DSC_0041[1].JPG
DSC_0042[1].JPG

Another thing I noticed was about a rotors thickness gap between the front forks and the wheel while at rest.
DSC_0044[1].JPG

Could this also explain the "glitchiness" I feel when progressively braking. It could be that the forks are beginning to bind when compressing?

Any ideas :idunno: The only bent forks I have seen have been ... well BENT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts