Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new bike.. I know there are some Latest and greatest bikes coming out 'BUT' (there is always a but) I can get a good deal on a new RC-51 for 9000.00 and they will give me 6000.00 for my bike ( a 929 see link)
So after the set up fee and to put it on road I can have a new zero mileage bike for a little more then 3000.00.
So my question is can anyone tell me some good or bad things about the rc-51?
Or wait for the latest and greatest?
So many new bikes and so little cash!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....3857471

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Well, since you've had 20 look-sees and no replies, here's one - and you should know this by now: RC51's are

Sorry, I don't really have any useful input, as I've never ridden an RC51 . Some day I will experience a twin, but for now I am as happy as a pig in sh!t with inline 4's.

·
Registered
397 Posts
mongo350 : Any common problems (with rc-51).
Someone who owns one that can tell me how they like it.
My best friend has one, and the cooling system SUCKS, it has and will overheat. Engine ice makes it a tad better, but it still gets hot. Other than that, I would buy one. However, I have the key to his 03 RC and garage and get to take it out anytime I want. We often swap bikes and it only takes a few miles of twisties to feel comfortable and go fast, he feels the same way on my 954. We can't do this with the R1's and Gixxer 1ks that our friends have, they just don't feel right and are harder to get use to.

Tank

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
They sound great with a pair of cans

Prepare to fill up much more often too.

If you have the stock exhaust for your 929, slap it back on, and sell the Akra outright. You'll get a little more cash that way.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
just a little heads up. i just got $4800 for my never wrecked or dropped 2000 cbr929 w/ 18,000 miles on it. (and you don't have a single bid) i thought it was in great shape and so did others. i sold it as close to stock as i could and am in the process of selling the aftermarket pieces.

if you can get $6K on a trade, i say go for it and save the taxes on the $6K. the dealer might still give you $6K with the mods removed, ask them. (assuming this is a dealer type of deal)

as someone said before, the rc51 is an easy bike to get comfy on and go quick easily. buy it now and pay for and mod over the winter.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Heavy-Dee : I've heard it described as 'Sneaky fast'.  Although I wouldn't know first hand.  They sound cool too.  Very sexy bikes.
In my limited experiec (I've ridden an RC) the v-twin superbike are sneaky-fast in general. Sorta need to ride one to understand that exactly, but seems an applicable description.

It was a tough call, the RC and the Duc were the only two bikes on my short list (the 2003 and prior Mille did NOTHING for me).

I'd still like to get an RC.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Holeshot : Quote (Heavy-Dee @ Sep. 26 2003, 3:37am)I've heard it described as 'Sneaky fast'.  Although I wouldn't know first hand.  They sound cool too.  Very sexy bikes.
In my limited experiec (I've ridden an RC) the v-twin superbike are sneaky-fast in general.  Sorta need to ride one to understand that exactly, but seems an applicable description.  

It was a tough call, the RC and the Duc were the only two bikes on my short list (the 2003 and prior Mille did NOTHING for me).

I'd still like to get an RC.
Is your duc a twin? I though it was a V4.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Poor mileage is about the worst thing. It may be less comfortable than some other bikes, but you're put in the right position for hard riding. They do run hot, but it's not really a problem.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
mongo:  If you don't mind me asking where are you gonna get it?  If you are going to Best Cycle let me know.  I have very good friends who work there that'll hook you up on just about anything you made need.  As far as a 51 goes....I say go for it.  I have always wanted one and they are great bikes.  Yes the cooling system has some issuses but in all honesty in NH you should be just fine.  The biggest issue is fuel range.  Not quite up to what your 929 does.  The big twin feels right at home in the twisties and isn't too bad on the freeway.  I have to agree with others that they are 'sneaky fast', since the motor doesn't have to work as hard to get you to where you wanna go.  RC's are fantastic bikes and they just sound KILLER with a good set of pipes.

Dano

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I have an 03 RC51, and let me tell you its a better feeling then I had for the 929.  It is stable and feels like it has the same if not more power (with the addition of the satos, and PCIIIr)

The thump is a bit different, kinda like the wine drinker of sportbike.  I really like mine very much!  plus you can mod the crap out of them!

There was always something about the RC that I liked...so I decided to give it a try.

good luck, I would go for it if I were you!

pic of mine!

LINK

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
mongo350 : Any common problems (with rc-51).
Someone who owns one that can tell me how they like it.
I dunno what all the complaints about the 'comfort' are about. If you're built for speed, you should like the bike in stock form. It aint a touring bike though. Be prepared to fill it up every 100 miles or less with mods. The gearing is a bit higher and you'll be feathering the clutch some unless you re-gear it.

The bike handles like it is on rails. The stock tires are great. You'll get an extra 20mph into turns with it and you will find the tires get out to the absolute edge before you know it.

The sound with a pair of sato low-mount cans is very pleasing and add a few ponies.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Tank69 : My best friend has one, and the cooling system SUCKS, it has and will overheat.  ...Tank
Your friend may be running too lean. If he has a PC3 he may want to richen the fuel a bit. Especially if he has stock exhaust.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Quote My best friend has one, and the cooling system SUCKS, it has and will overheat...

He also lives in Phx, which is not exactly a 'cool' city. I know that even down here in Tucson my 954, as well as my 600RR when I had that, run a bit on the warm side. In NH I don't think he'll have any issues at all. I had a few friends with RC's that never really had a big problem with it even with all the mods some had done.

Dano

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote Well, since you've had 20 look-sees and no replies, here's one - and you should know this by now: RC51's are

Sorry, I don't really have any useful input, as I've never ridden an RC51 . Some day I will experience a twin, but for now I am as happy as a pig in sh!t with inline 4's.

If you by it expecting to ride it like an inline 4 you will be sorely disappointed. Riding a twin requires a little diffrent technique than the inline 4's. Ignore all you hear about the cooling problems. Twins run hotter than 4's always have always will.

Sneaky fast is a good description. While your inline is wound up and making a bunch high pitched noises that indeed let you know how fst you are moving the Twins tend to sound a little more laid back and are deceptive to the ear as to how fast it's moving.

A properly set up 51 is a scaple, but they don't come that way out of the box. They aren't bad from the factory but they can be greatly improved just like any other bike.

I have been racing mine since 2000 and quite frankly of all the Honda's I have owned and raced it is by far the best. I have had Inline 4's,V4's and even a couple 2 smokers and the RC beats em all hands down. The new 1000RR will have to be pretty damn good to get me to switch back to a 4.

Ask the Group that went to Jennings GP for the Fireblades.org Trackday just how fast an RC can be.!

I all boils down to personal preference you may buy it and not like it, but you won't know until you try it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts