Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for FireBlades.org! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join FireBlades.org, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "FireBlades.org Classic".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Fireblade You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/garage.php?do=index

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your FireBlades.org Team.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,603 Posts
Can you explain in more detail as to what the mention, like, and tags do and how to use them properly? Lots of new functions here, and I'm so insanely used to the old system I want to use these new tools properly. Excited to begin tagging and mentioning, etc. Also, has there been any change/improvement directly related to how you build "reputation"? It's been a hot topic when someone with no reputation, reps you 10 times and it doesn't calculate or add to your rep bank, aside from the limited rep you can give people over a short period of time without "spreading it around". Rep, IMO, should be handed out for informative, helpful, descriptive posts, whereas your new "Like" option can be used, well, just because you like something.

Also, for past threads and posts that have been immensely helpful to other users, they will have to be re-read and gone through to put up proper "likes"? That can be done, yes? Please consider these suggestions, as I'm looking forward to mastering all the site has to offer.

Thanks,

IanDoohan:cheers2:

·
Administrator
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you explain in more detail as to what the mention, like, and tags do and how to use them properly? Lots of new functions here, and I'm so insanely used to the old system I want to use these new tools properly. Excited to begin tagging and mentioning, etc. Also, has there been any change/improvement directly related to how you build "reputation"? It's been a hot topic when someone with no reputation, reps you 10 times and it doesn't calculate or add to your rep bank, aside from the limited rep you can give people over a short period of time without "spreading it around". Rep, IMO, should be handed out for informative, helpful, descriptive posts, whereas your new "Like" option can be used, well, just because you like something.

Also, for past threads and posts that have been immensely helpful to other users, they will have to be re-read and gone through to put up proper "likes"? That can be done, yes? Please consider these suggestions, as I'm looking forward to mastering all the site has to offer.

Thanks,

IanDoohan:cheers2:
Heya,

@ mention is when you user the (@) symbol in front of the users name. @IanDoohan

You can (like) users posts which then will show in thier user profile and notifcations.

I will look into the rep but it should work the same way as before. (confirmed it works the same)

Jeff M

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
not gonna lie... kinda hate it. :hmm:

I liked the "carbonfibre", but the speed of the new IS impressive. Very similar to other Honda-like forums. Personally, I find it LESS mobile friendly than before. I left 600RR.net (another Vertical Scope owned website) because of this layout. Also, there should REALLY be a new or newer Fireblade atop the homepage. We all really love Tony & Ian's machines, but I think you went backwards (to the mid 1990s) with the homepage... I'm looking for Vanilla Ice and De La Soul :smilebig: Difficult to portray a "current" base or "progressive" site, when it's represented by 20+ year old machines (although very purrty). The typeface of the website's name has just got to go too... been better off with just about anything else. :twocents:

I do look forward to the other features that Ian mentioned... and hope this is a move in the RIGHT direction, not a move in the direction in which Vertical Scope can just line their pockets while we members have to deal with a crappier product.

Wanna make us happy...? Bring back the opportunity to get some stickers, shirts, and Fireblades.org gear :shades:

·
Administrator
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not gonna lie... kinda hate it. :hmm:

I liked the "carbonfibre", but the speed of the new IS impressive. Very similar to other Honda-like forums. Personally, I find it LESS mobile friendly than before. I left 600RR.net (another Vertical Scope owned website) because of this layout. Also, there should REALLY be a new or newer Fireblade atop the homepage. We all really love Tony & Ian's machines, but I think you went backwards (to the mid 1990s) with the homepage... I'm looking for Vanilla Ice and De La Soul :smilebig: Difficult to portray a "current" base or "progressive" site, when it's represented by 20+ year old machines (although very purrty). The typeface of the website's name has just got to go too... been better off with just about anything else. :twocents:

I do look forward to the other features that Ian mentioned... and hope this is a move in the RIGHT direction, not a move in the direction in which Vertical Scope can just line their pockets while we members have to deal with a crappier product.

Wanna make us happy...? Bring back the opportunity to get some stickers, shirts, and Fireblades.org gear :shades:
@unslow I hear ya man that is my generation. lol We used the images submitted in the thread but can add or update down the road.

We will work with you guys to tweak the site and settings, let's get some more feedback and have you guys try out some features. Try a log out/in and clear cache to help with speeds since it is loading all new images.

The stores are now testing on some other sites, I will try to get you guys on the list for one.

Jeff M

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
WoW, love the new banner. Nice to see IanDoohan's bike up there.

Is there anyway to get rid of that big box to the right. The buyers guide and recent discussions? I don't use it at all, it just robs me of screen space.

·
Registered
596 Posts
WoW, love the new banner. Nice to see IanDoohan's bike up there.

Is there anyway to get rid of that big box to the right. The buyers guide and recent discussions? I don't use it at all, it just robs me of screen space.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Classic mode for the win (via the "quick style chooser" found at the lower left hand side of the page btw for those who are wondering how to get the old look back btw). :)

·
Administrator
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Classic mode for the win (via the "quick style chooser" found at the lower left hand side of the page btw for those who are wondering how to get the old look back btw). :)
Thanks for posting guys!

Ping me with any other questions.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My first impressions are pretty positive. The "like" function is a good idea and one I've used on another forum.

Seems faster and classic mode on my IPhone 6 is very easy to use.

So a thumbs up from me!!
10-4, thanks for the feedback.

Enjoy your new home.

Jeff M

·
Registered
341 Posts
3rd day using it, and I'm definitely warming up to it. Good work!

Also, I love/hate how the 954rr is featured on the banner. I want to experience other, newer blades, but I know I should probably never get rid of mine in fear of deeply regretting it, especially now that it's featured at the top of the page :lol:

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I think you have a bad plug-in. I went thru this same issue, and same symptoms with RC51forums.com. They made the same change with their site as here.
When I try to reply to a post, or start a new thread in a subforum, as the editor page is loading, it tries to include every single picture I've ever posted on this site. It takes quite a while. Sometimes it will recycle me to the home page. Other times, when it finally loads all the picture files, which is at least a couple hundred, it will allow me to start typing in the text box, and then all the pics disappear, and are not included with the post.

Desktop, Windows 7, Chrome, and I've cleared cookies and cache.
No new changes to my computer.

Here's the link where admin and I discussed the problem. I don't know if it helps, but maybe...
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/67-rc51-forums-site-issues-forum/77650-attached-pictures-5.html

·
Administrator
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you have a bad plug-in. I went thru this same issue, and same symptoms with RC51forums.com. They made the same change with their site as here.
When I try to reply to a post, or start a new thread in a subforum, as the editor page is loading, it tries to include every single picture I've ever posted on this site. It takes quite a while. Sometimes it will recycle me to the home page. Other times, when it finally loads all the picture files, which is at least a couple hundred, it will allow me to start typing in the text box, and then all the pics disappear, and are not included with the post.

Desktop, Windows 7, Chrome, and I've cleared cookies and cache.
No new changes to my computer.

Here's the link where admin and I discussed the problem. I don't know if it helps, but maybe...
Attached pictures - Page 5 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

@jondog9 - yeah seen that before can you grab a screenshot of the files or error to share with the team?

Jeff M

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
1- How about a rotating banner that goes through all the generations of the CBR?

2- The site seems slower for me and seems to crash my browser.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
diggin' the "rotating" banner idea :thumb: LIKE

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,603 Posts
I just logged on via my PC for the first time. Seems slower actually, loading "lengthy script" and actually "stopped responding" for a moment. I rarely ever log on via the PC, but also noticed that in the mobile app that the 954 in the banner doesn't even get displayed, as the banner is cut off. My PC is windows 7 home premium using IE11.

·
Administrator
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1- How about a rotating banner that goes through all the generations of the CBR?

2- The site seems slower for me and seems to crash my browser.
I wish we could but not as easy as it is reactive based upon device size software.

diggin' the "rotating" banner idea :thumb: LIKE
See above, love the idea also had other sites ask for it and it is on the backburner Development wise.

I just logged on via my PC for the first time. Seems slower actually, loading "lengthy script" and actually "stopped responding" for a moment. I rarely ever log on via the PC, but also noticed that in the mobile app that the 954 in the banner doesn't even get displayed, as the banner is cut off. My PC is windows 7 home premium using IE11.
Try clearing your cache and doing a log out/in since it is loading all new images for the first time.

Yeah the banner is reactive based upon the devices size and software so smaller monitors might not see the newer red blade on the far right.

Jeff M

1 - 20 of 53 Posts