Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to some geeks at the CES show this week, we have gotten a glimpse at the new TiVo 3. This is a huge leap forward, bringing in pretty much all of the features people have been screaming for:

- Dual-Tuner CableCARD support, which means no more cable box
- HD Capable
- Integrated network port (finally!)
- Digital Video and Audio output

Check it out... http://www.tivolovers.com/252572.html

Pics ... http://starjewel.org/pics/tivo/

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Strange I was just pricing out a new Tivo unit last night, mine was fried by lightning about 4 yrs ago and I just havent got around to replacing it yet..

...I may just wait a little bit longer now :evilaugh:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Can't make up my mind if I want a standalone or a Tivo.... :crap:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ConqSoft said:
I have a DVR from my cable provider (Time Warner). $6.95/month with no up front costs, and if it breaks they replace it, forever, so, can't beat it.
Our TW DVR is VERY limited in functionality and ease of use. Yes, it records, and yes, it has HD... but that thing will be GONE the day the TiVo comes out. The TiVo interface and capabilities just blow it away. The only reason we have it is to record HD.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
navydevildoc said:
Our TW DVR is VERY limited in functionality and ease of use. Yes, it records, and yes, it has HD... but that thing will be GONE the day the TiVo comes out. The TiVo interface and capabilities just blow it away. The only reason we have it is to record HD.
It records (two channels at once, while watching another recording), plays back, and pauses live TV. That's all the capability I really need.

How much will the new Tivo cost, and what's the monthly service charge?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I didn't like the $12.99/month all I want is to record stuff when I ain't home to watch it, and maaaaybe have the capapbility of recording one show while I watch another.

I did like the season pass feature but it was so hard to keep up with all the shows I had recorded.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ConqSoft said:
It records (two channels at once, while watching another recording), plays back, and pauses live TV. That's all the capability I really need.

How much will the new Tivo cost, and what's the monthly service charge?
Well, who knows how much the thing will cost. Monthy service is 10 bucks a month.

But, we use a lot of the more advanced features of the TiVo... streaming video between rooms, looking up upcoming shows based on actors and such, not recording re-runs, intelligent "2 minute runover" correction, etc.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
navydevildoc said:
Well, who knows how much the thing will cost. Monthy service is 10 bucks a month.

But, we use a lot of the more advanced features of the TiVo... streaming video between rooms, looking up upcoming shows based on actors and such, not recording re-runs, intelligent "2 minute runover" correction, etc.
Yep, the TIVO features are the shyte compared to other DVRs I've seen...

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
New tivo looks cool but I'm just wondering whats wrong with on-demand TV... too expensive? not enough content? not enough flexibility or 'local' options?

I don't have either, I actually don't have cable except for the hsi...was contemplating the TiVo stuff cause of the ipod video capability.

mpeg4 is still a bit away from full public broadcast I believe, but the ipod video does play cablelabs compliant mp4v & mp4a tracks.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SomeStrangeGuy said:
New tivo looks cool but I'm just wondering whats wrong with on-demand TV... too expensive? not enough content? not enough flexibility or 'local' options?

I don't have either, I actually don't have cable except for the hsi...was contemplating the TiVo stuff cause of the ipod video capability.

mpeg4 is still a bit away from full public broadcast I believe, but the ipod video does play cablelabs compliant mp4v & mp4a tracks.
The on-demand stuff we have here in San Diego has very limited content... and the user interface is so painful I would rather shove a spoon up my ass than deal with it.

If I were to say that on demand covers 1% of shows available (not counting movies) I think I would be close to the mark. The TiVo basically takes all of your channels as sources to record shows.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've been using Windows Media Center on a small form factor Dell for about six months now. I love the interface, and the digital music features are better than anything else I've seen or used. But I hate the fact that it locks up at least once a week (stupid Windows XP) and doesn't support CableCARD or dual tuners (my hardware platform, that is). Had a ReplayTV before that. Liked it too. It just seems that Tivo and ReplayTV are taking away more control over what you can do and how long you can keep programs. Media Center (so far, at least) doesn't charge for tv listings or limit what you can do. Plus I have a DVD burner and can burn what I record directly to DVD from within the interface. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts