Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the board. Very glad to be an owner of a 2000 CBR 929rr.
This board seems great by the way. :thumb:

1. I had a couple of questions. The bike is going to need its 16,000 mile maintenance fairly soon, how much does this usually run for at the stealership? Am I better off doing it myself?

2. The bike I picked up has fouled plugs. Should I put in the Iridium or Standard ones? Are their any true benefits to the iridium one, or is it all marketing? Thanks. Once again, nice forum you guys have here.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Your bike has fouled plugs? Really?

They might be wore out, but if they're fouled, that pretty much means a PC with a bad map. The Iridium plugs are great.

For the 16k I believe you do a valve lash check. That will cost some money, no idea how much they normally get for it though.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
FWIW local dealership tells me they have never had to adjust 929 valves at 16000miles. Almost none 24000 miles. Some at 32000 though.

If you hadn't had something out to foul the plugs, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plugs were fouled in storage. The previous owner had some unreliable people store it in an a/c controlled place, and they fouled both the plugs to my bike, and his other Suzuki. They had been in storage for two months. He told me that they could have laid it down the wrong way and that the gas could have fouled the plug that way, or that possibly the condensation from the cold a/c could have ruined the gas. When I try to start it will rumble for 2 seconds and then pop off. After that first intial try, it will combust slightly when it ignites, but you can just smell the gasoline flooding into the cylinder. It really reeks. We thought it could have been the power commander, so we by passed it. Still the same result. Then we found out his Suzuki was doing it as well. He's a mech. engineer for Harley, and my old neighbor, which is the only reason I would trust him as a seller. I've seen him baby this bike since it was new.

Thanks, I wasn't too sure if the valves would be that bad after only 16,000 miles.
Thanks for the speedy reply.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Well it wouldn't get any condensation in an air-conditioned room... maybe they dumped some oil into the cylinders for storage and used too much?

FWIW I would use only the OEM plugs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I *think* plugs are included in the 16K service. I've been quoted between 225ish to 300 if I recall. Mine is due as well, but I'm not comfortable checking the valves myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts