Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to honda liter bikes, but not to motorcycles. I owned a 636 previously, and was unfortunately the victim of motorcycle theft.

5 months later, I now have a 2002 cbr954rr in my secured 24hr storage unit a few blocks down from my apartment. Not taking any chances this time! She's got what seems like endless torque down low, but that's not saying much seeing what I came from. When I picked her up, I checked for all the tell tail signs of what it would need (16k miles, sitting for 2 years). Tires had a bit of dry rot, left fork seal was leaking, some hints of rust in the tank, a rusty chain, and no mirrors. It looks as though the bike was just painted (and painted well I might add, no runs or anything) gloss black. It looks pretty sharp.

Mods: 2 brothers stainless exhaust, but it looks like a full system, the headers run straight down, and are all purple and blue-like.

But anyways, that's for a picture thread. Onto the questions:

1) It seems a bit cold-natured, when I start her up initially, it takes a couple seconds, and I have to give it a little throttle.

2) It smells rich, when I start it, it seems like it's dumping fuel in the exhaust, and just smells rich in general

3) When I'm at a light, or just in general, occasionally, if I revv her up (not to redline of course) when it falls back down to idle it'll die.

4) it studders a little below 3k, and then I get a surge of power (but I believe this to be charactaristic of these early 2000's fireblades, even my friends 07 had surging at 3k)

Here is what I think is the problem:

1) Cold bikes suck sometimes, I had an 06 636, and it being newer, stock, and small displacement, it fired right up every time, could be that

OR

A full exhaust system without a tune would not provide the backpressure a stock ecu needs to fire right up

2) Again, without tuning on a full system, it might be rich

3) See above

4) Could be exhaust, or b/c it's a liter bike, it's not that bad though

Before I run out and buy a power commander and start trying different maps, I want to see if this is accurate. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
1) It seems a bit cold-natured, when I start her up initially, it takes a couple seconds, and I have to give it a little throttle.

2) It smells rich, when I start it, it seems like it's dumping fuel in the exhaust, and just smells rich in general

3) When I'm at a light, or just in general, occasionally, if I revv her up (not to redline of course) when it falls back down to idle it'll die.

4) it studders a little below 3k, and then I get a surge of power (but I believe this to be charactaristic of these early 2000's fireblades, even my friends 07 had surging at 3k)
1, 2, 3 - I'd be checking the fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum line off and it should be dry. You can also tell if your crankcase smells of fuel apparently.
4. Sounds normal.
If it has a full system it won't have the HTEV under the engine.
If it's been sitting for two years I hope you've already changed the oil and filter, coolant and brake fluids?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm in the process of doing the maintainence on it right now, chain, etc etc. Hopefully she'll be tip top in a week.

·
Registered
552 Posts
how many miles on the bike and what maintance has been done, sounds like the bike sat far a long time, i would recommend changing all the fluids and see if there is a mouse nest in the filter that could cause a longer then normal cranking and cause the bike to run rich if the nest is big enough.
The 3k surge is normal on the 954. a power comander can fix that from what i hear, I dont have a power cammander on my bike and with only a jardine slip on i dont realy need one. the base idle may need to be adjusted, the adjuster is on the left side below the seat behide the side cover. i would also recommend running some fuel injector cleaner through the bike, remember dont dump the whole bottle in they are made for 15 to 20 gallon tanks not 4.6 gallon tanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, she pops between 900-1000/1100 rpms when cold, and settle about at 1000 when warm and smooths out a bit to boot. Checked the oil, it was really clean, it had coolant, and the overflow was within spec as well. I need to chain brake pads/fluid, as the fluid is looking a little dirty. Will do on the injector cleaner though, sounds like a plan.

It just ticked over 16,600 miles the other day when I rode it 100 miles in the rain back from ocala. Probably the dumbest, and scariest thing I've done in my life. Trucks from now on fellas.

I only rode it back, then rode it to the storage unit where it's safe, but I rode it enough to tell that it needed a little tlc.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Okay, she pops between 900-1000/1100 rpms when cold, and settle about at 1000 when warm and smooths out a bit to boot. Checked the oil, it was really clean, it had coolant, and the overflow was within spec as well. I need to chain brake pads/fluid, as the fluid is looking a little dirty. Will do on the injector cleaner though, sounds like a plan.

It just ticked over 16,600 miles the other day when I rode it 100 miles in the rain back from ocala. Probably the dumbest, and scariest thing I've done in my life. Trucks from now on fellas.

I only rode it back, then rode it to the storage unit where it's safe, but I rode it enough to tell that it needed a little tlc.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys.
You should change the oil due to it sitting so long. Don't change it until after you check the FPR though as a bad FPR lets fuel through into the oil. I change the oil and filter on any engine I buy as soon as I get it, even if the previous owner changed it the day before. Fresh oil is the cheapest insurance you can give your engine.
Coolant and brake fluid have a _maximum_ life of two years - even if the bike never runs. I recommend changing them every year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, tomorrows a maintenance day, gotta run around like a chicken with my head cut off getting this stuff done so I can start riding again. I'll check the FPR asap though, it sounds like it could be the issue. Thanks dudes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay guys, new development!

I got new tires put on, oil change, cleaned the chain, etc. Haven't gotten around to a coolant or brake fluid flush yet, but here is whats happening.

I pulled the FPR line off whilst I was doing maintenance, and there was a bit of fuel in the line. I put the line back on, put in some injector cleaner, and proceeded to go for a ride today with some of my friends. I notice that in a couple of jaunts, when the motor is drawing a lot of fuel (6th gear, over 100mph, with the throttle pinned), I get a FI light, and the engine cuts ignition. Scary, so I pulled off to the side and flipped the run/stop switch, and everything ran just fine. (Just as an afternote, I'm not into doing absurd speeds, but I do like to touch the 100's every now and then on long straight roads)

I'm pretty sure I have a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Thats what it sounds like at least.

Oh yes, another thing, when attempting to replace my spark plugs, the FSM says you can get to them after you've removed the radiator, but I found it almost impossible to get the coil packs off the spark plugs. Is it common to have to remove the air filter box and etc to simply change your plugs? (gosh those plugs were expensive too)

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Oh yes, another thing, when attempting to replace my spark plugs, the FSM says you can get to them after you've removed the radiator, but I found it almost impossible to get the coil packs off the spark plugs. Is it common to have to remove the air filter box and etc to simply change your plugs? (gosh those plugs were expensive too)
I prop the tank and remove the airbox to reach them. I've never tried to get them from the front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, new fpr + o ring on order.

I need new fork seals, they are leaking a bit. The FSM doesn't make it look too hard at all to replace. I'm pretty good at wrenching, is it safe to do myself? Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had this problem, not sure how bad it is for you but it was a real pain in the ass for me. Accelerating from a stop there was almost no power then 3000 hit and off it goes. Power commander fixed it up (even the downloaded maps fixed it, but the custom map I had made up on the dyno was obviously much better).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts