Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but would appreciate members advice on the RR2 and RR3 954 Fireblade. I have owned a number of sports-bikes including a GSXR-750 k5 and a 1996 YZF-750, and I have finally got the garage space for another bike and am considering going for a 954cc Fireblade (2002 or 2003).
Here in UK there are quite a number of 929cc blades for sale with smaller numbers of 954's. There seems to be small price differential between the 929 and the 954 and most reviews seem to rate the 954 being a better bike than the 929, but would appreciate members advice on why the 954 is a better motorcycle?

Also - apart from some usual things to look for when buying a 20 year old sports-bike are there any particular issues with the 954 to look out for?

Last question, budget wise the first generation 1000cc fireblade is not too far off on price too - any thoughts on the 954 v the first 1000cc blade as a bike to own and ride?

Thanks for any input and thoughts
Graham

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but would appreciate members advice on the RR2 and RR3 954 Fireblade. I have owned a number of sports-bikes including a GSXR-750 k5 and a 1996 YZF-750, and I have finally got the garage space for another bike and am considering going for a 954cc Fireblade (2002 or 2003).
Here in UK there are quite a number of 929cc blades for sale with smaller numbers of 954's. There seems to be small price differential between the 929 and the 954 and most reviews seem to rate the 954 being a better bike than the 929, but would appreciate members advice on why the 954 is a better motorcycle?

Also - apart from some usual things to look for when buying a 20 year old sports-bike are there any particular issues with the 954 to look out for?

Last question, budget wise the first generation 1000cc fireblade is not too far off on price too - any thoughts on the 954 v the first 1000cc blade as a bike to own and ride?

Thanks for any input and thoughts
Graham
well the 954 is the later model, so maybe that has some bearing....talking of which the lower headstock bearing on the 954 were changed from balls (as in the 929) to rollers, which apparently caused some issues with instability/headshake. But as everyone (with any sense) uses steering dampers for track duty it shouldn't be a problem. The difference in power is minimal. The looks are obviously slightly different, but that's a personal taste thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They say its the lightest Fireblade @ 192kg wet. I'm sure the 1000RR will have more power than the 954 but really in the end it's what you prefer. I would pick 954 over the 1000RR because I like the look and weight, not that 1KRR looks bad I just prefer older bikes. All Fireblades are good.

·
Registered
2003 CBR954RR
40 Posts
I've had both and prefer the 954 I have now - but its a looks thing. They both toss their head under heavy acceleration. The 954 just looks better doing it :)
Cam chain tensioner rattle should be listened for on both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts