1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Keep in mind that lowering the bike affects the handling and ground clearance.

You can try other options

1. shaving the seat down some (removing the cushioning). It wont be as soft but there arent many comfortable stock seats out there.

or

2. adding .5"-1" of rubber to the bottom of your boots. Getting used to the boots gives you the added benefit of being able to ride other bikes that arent lowered.

That said, there are guys/gals on this board that have simply mastered the one leg down at a light routine.

:welcome: to the org

-jh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the welcome, but the bike is gonna be a highway satr doing about 60 miles a day on i-95 so handling isn't as big a deal as comfort.

plus i figure i can put the stock parts back pretty cheap...but i don't know about reupholstering a seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 'one leg at the lights' routine that Jhonda41 mentions has the added benefit that you can cover the back brake for safety. If you are the first vehicle at the lights it could stop you getting pushed into the opposing traffic if you are shunted in the rear . . . or at least thats what I was told when I took my riding lessons.

It's something I have always done as I am 5'8" with quite a short inside leg; I can get both feet down on my 954 but its tiptoes only :eek:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
also, is this all i need to lower the bike or do i need to buy a spring/shock too?

You only need the lowering link, stock shock and spring work, but I agree that the other options are probably better since you get full suspension travel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thanks for the info, i guess i was wearing chucks, so i'm gonna want more than a layer of canvas over my feet anyway...

·
Registered
220 Posts
mine was lowered 3" for about 2 months and put it back to stock cause it handled like:poop: . if u decide to lower it i wouldnt go very much cause u may not like it and that link that u found seems a little pricey.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i have a lot of friends with lowered bikes. Where i live we do a lot more highway riding and drag racing. those links will work fine the only problem is that you will loose some ride quality and speed bumps might be a prob if you go to low. but if you only go down an inch or so that wont be a prob. I'm short also and have to do the 1 foot thing and it's not fun especially on rocks/gravel or on oil slicks. For normal riding and highway stuff lowering your bike would be ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a tid bit of info on lowering that hasnt been mentioned... If your as new to cycling as you say you are... Lowering the bike will throw off the way you might be used to the bike responding when maneuvering... The way the bike responds, could change drastically from what your used to now, and that would be very bad if you needed to make emergency maneuvers to avoid a collision or debri in the roadway. Just remember, usually lowering kits are put onto bikes of people that just want to go fast and stay lower to the ground for less resistance. Its not usually used because they are too short... In any case, best of luck to you and I hope everything works itself out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts