Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I just picked up a 93 CBR900RR. ive wanted this bike since I was a kid and a guy hit me up offering to trade it for a project truck I was selling. its got 35,000 miles on it and fires up on the first shot, runs like a champ! this is my first Honda. my first bike ever was a 78 Suzuki GS550, I bought for $75 and put about another $100 in it and got it running. took it for a ride and a guy that worked at the dealership saw it and wanted it for his son and offered me $1000 cash for it. couldn't say no. I have taken an R6 for a ride and a 750GSXR but I haven't ridden in a few years. this bike just fits me perfectly. only thing I have noticed is that the past couple days when I start her up she makes a tapping/chatter noise when I let the clutch out in neutral. it becomes almost non existent once I pull the clutch back in. if im missing this somewhere in the forums I apologize I am new and haven't got a chance to fully explore it. any help or tips are much appreciated! (yeah she needs new tires haha) -Nick

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
your chain is loose!
Looks like a great bike:welcome::D:thumb:
pick up some new tires asap!!!!!!!!!! that's gonna take you out, if you don't get new ones!
tell me those are race take off tires! damn those look like they have 0 life left, if there not!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your chain is loose!
Looks like a great bike:welcome::D:thumb:
pick up some new tires asap!!!!!!!!!! that's gonna take you out, if you don't get new ones!
tell me those are race take off tires! damn those look like they have 0 life left, if there not!
thanks! I really like it! haha nah he said the tire WAS new (obviously all tires are new at some point) and then one track trip and they were like this. "still got some life in them......." absolutely 0 life left I agree. I wont take it on the street until I can get some new rubber on it so its sitting under cover on my back patio until I get paid. had to swap out the battery on her yesterday because the one in it finally had enough and croaked. looks like im gunna have to check the chain. anything else it could be if its not the chain?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
thanks! I really like it! haha nah he said the tire WAS new (obviously all tires are new at some point) and then one track trip and they were like this. "still got some life in them......." absolutely 0 life left I agree. I wont take it on the street until I can get some new rubber on it so its sitting under cover on my back patio until I get paid. had to swap out the battery on her yesterday because the one in it finally had enough and croaked. looks like im gunna have to check the chain. anything else it could be if its not the chain?
it's the chain;):thumb::cool:
good call on the tires! you can ride it slow, in a line! So you can get it running right, but don't go hard!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's the chain;):thumb::cool:
good call on the tires! you can ride it slow, in a line! So you can get it running right, but don't go hard!!!!
awesome!:thumb: it had me worried a bit because it sounds like its coming from front center of the motor, like under the gas tank/front faring area. but of course sound travels different when ive got it under the patio. yeah the tires are just fubar, no sugar coating it haha.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i definately will look into it. the previous owner obviously new either the battery was old or the charging unit doesnt function properly because he left me a brand new battery in the trunk! hahaha

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Welcome! Looks nice! Whoever took that bike to the track ate the tires pretty good, but wasn't cornering very hard. Pretty big chicken strip left on them. Enjoy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome! Looks nice! Whoever took that bike to the track ate the tires pretty good, but wasn't cornering very hard. Pretty big chicken strip left on them. Enjoy!
:thumb:thanks lobsta! yeah he said he took it to the track and riding corners like a pro. I dunno im not a seasoned rider and have never been to the track on a bike before. on the noise issue ive been having I finally got some sunshine and rode it up and down the street. the noise doesn't happen while im in motion, only when im sitting still. and it seems to go away after about 3k rpm when sitting in neutral. :idunno: haven't had time to actually get to working on her just yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey guys I got a video of that sound just to be sure.

·
Registered
791 Posts
At about 11s it's started on 2 or 3 cylinders. Clean the carbs out should solve that and your slight starting issue. Using a little choke might solve the symptoms of both.

The noise around 35-45s is petty evil. Does it go if you pull the clutch? Sounds like maybe a really bad camchain tensioner to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah it only does it when sitting still in neutral with the clutch out. if you ride it the noise goes away and if the clutch is pulled in the noise goes away :idunno:. as far as the starting issue yeah I forgot to choke (I know squid mistake), it fires up great and goes through the rpm's normally when I don't rush into it haha. I wanted to get the video before the rain started coming down so the noise could be heard. I do plan on cleaning the carbs and changing the oil and getting tires once ive got the money and time to do so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not to get off subject either but just for info what motor oil and viscosity does everyone recommend?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
:crying: Holy dog-doo, I just realized I read through this thread, admired the bike, but forgot to toss in a :welcome: !! Sooooo ruuuude Demon....

:welcome: !!! Nice looking bike you got there, cept maybe the tail :thumb: the old 900's just seemed so bulky in the tail end, guess some guys like a girl with a big wide rump though.... :idunno: :rotfl: You'll find tons of info on your bike throughout the forums as a lot of chaps here have had and/or modified the piss outta the 900rr's :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:crying: Holy dog-doo, I just realized I read through this thread, admired the bike, but forgot to toss in a :welcome: !! Sooooo ruuuude Demon....

:welcome: !!! Nice looking bike you got there, cept maybe the tail :thumb: the old 900's just seemed so bulky in the tail end, guess some guys like a girl with a big wide rump though.... :idunno: :rotfl: You'll find tons of info on your bike throughout the forums as a lot of chaps here have had and/or modified the piss outta the 900rr's :thumb:
Thanks RRDemon! Its all good I won't hold it against ya. I like a nice round rump haha. But I really like the tail swaps I've seen on here so we shall see!

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,348 Posts
No expert here by any means, but I've heard enough original 900's to think that's the clutch basket and pressure plates rattling around. If you were to remove the clutch cover, pressure plate and friction disks, it might reveal your problem. Probably not something that can/will go away with a new friction/steel plate swap out, but could be the gear that attaches to the back of the outer clutch basket. There are springs in there to reduce lash, they could be smoked and hence the nasty rattle sound you hear in neutral. I would dive in and start learning, the other half of ownership is getting to know the intimate parts of your scooter. lol keep us informed and good luck.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts