Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
Nice bike. My favorite factory color scheme.

How did mounting the stainless SC33 headers go?

I've read they bolt right on, but then I've also read the lower bracket doesn't sit right. Do you have any close ups? How did you remedy this?

Yes, purchasing a "bolt-on" 96-99 pipe will solve your pipe angle problem. To be honest though, the angle is nowhere near as bad as I always thought it would be.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Nice bike. My favorite factory color scheme.

How did mounting the stainless SC33 headers go?

I've read they bolt right on, but then I've also read the lower bracket doesn't sit right. Do you have any close ups? How did you remedy this?

Yes, purchasing a "bolt-on" 96-99 pipe will solve your pipe angle problem. To be honest though, the angle is nowhere near as bad as I always thought it would be.
Thanks! I agree, the angle isn't too much of a concern for me currently.

Headers went on without any fuss. I've started it and don't detect any blow by at the cylinders. You are correct, it appears that the lower bracket does not quite sit right with the 96-99 headers. In the midst of this I've learned the PO has fixed up what I believe are R6 passenger pegs, along with a nice homemade bracket to hang the previously stock muffler 馃え. Part of the fun I suppose. I am awaiting stock 900rr passenger pegs along with the attached correct hanger to determine how far off the pipe/bracket will be. If anything it's close, and I am hopeful I can find something to connect them, as that was the main reason for staying with the 96-99 pipe (along with the stainless look). Once I get the pegs in, I will take a picture to show exactly how far off it is, and I'm sure I'll be asking for solutions 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Dualheadlamps:

Here is the picture of where it is currently lining up with the sc33 headers. Muffler is a Two Bros with a Two Bros M2 Exhaust Clamp. The gap between the mounting points is relatively small horizontally, and I would assume would bolt right up if it was vertically aligned.

I am not quite sure how I am going to tackle this issue. Ideas are always welcome. 馃

Registered
This is with the alignment at the lower bracket with the home made pipe bracket right?

I'm curious to see the difference with the proper factory pillion peg bracket.

If it stays the same, I would just fabricate a small piece of metal with two holes to connect the tow points. Nut and bolt on the header into custom bracket adapter, factory bolt into factory mounting point.

The proper way would be to weld on an extension on the factory header. If you have the stainless welding skills that is.

If you still want to do it right but don't have the welding skills, mock it up, make the adapter plate out of cardboard, use a sharpie to your delight for alignment references and find a competent stainless welder. Or just take the whole bike to said competent stainless welder.

Make sure you use stainless filler material for the welding if you do this!

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
This is with the alignment at the lower bracket with the home made pipe bracket right?

I'm curious to see the difference with the proper factory pillion peg bracket.

If it stays the same, I would just fabricate a small piece of metal with two holes to connect the tow points. Nut and bolt on the header into custom bracket adapter, factory bolt into factory mounting point.

The proper way would be to weld on an extension on the factory header. If you have the stainless welding skills that is.

If you still want to do it right but don't have the welding skills, mock it up, make the adapter plate out of cardboard, use a sharpie to your delight for alignment references and find a competent stainless welder. Or just take the whole bike to said competent stainless welder.

Make sure you use stainless filler material for the welding if you do this!
Thanks for the help, I was probably unclear. The above photo is of the stock 98-99 header to the stock mounting point on the frame. Mounting to the stock pillion peg wasn鈥檛 an issue.

Attachments

Registered
No, you were clear.

My understanding was that you were using a home-made bracket at the clamp, and I was just saying that could possibly lead to the lower frame mounting position being off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
No, you were clear.

My understanding was that you were using a home-made bracket at the clamp, and I was just saying that could possibly lead to the lower frame mounting position being off.
Ahh I see. The PO had fabbed up some nonsense with R6 pillion pegs. I went ahead and got stock 93 900rr pegs off eBay, so the positioning at the pillion pegs is stock now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Mostly done, at least until I get some miles on it, may still do aftermarket fairings when I get around to it. It was filthy below the fairings and wheels. The exhaust does a fair amount of popping on decel, so possibly a bit lean. Thanks for the help all.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
I came across a fun new issue the past two days. When I turn the ignition on, all lights work, dummy and signals. However, I have no headlights, and no starter. Occasionally it will work, especially if I fiddle with the ignition connector. But more often than not. No go. Any idea what could be causing this?

So far I've replaced the alternator cover, and brake lines. I had the gauge cluster off to repair the front fairing.

President: Team Full Chat
The starter switch turns off the headlight to keep all available power going to the starter. Sometimes the switch gets dirty, messed up, or infested with spiders lol. Take the right hand control pod off the bar and clean it our. take pictures of the innards so you can reassemble it correctly. That could be it, or at least a contributing factor.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts