Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 07cbr1000rr for about 10 days now. and love it

getting to the point. i was turning right from an intersection, i was still on lean angle but just about to straighten up. second gear and went on throttle. I lost traction at the back wheel. suprprisingly it was smooth. I quickly straightened up (didn't fall) and checked that one full round on the right edge of the tyre has been worn off as if i did a burnout.

Riding home after that i didn't have the same confident. the bike felt as if it was trying to push right when i was lane splitting in traffic.

moral: Brand new tyres are slippery, the sides can remain like that for a long time.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
lol I have a lot of fun with that personally. The wax does not mix with dusty roads.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Been there !!!!!

Always take it easy on new tyres, the mould release agent certainly doesn't help traction. :evilaugh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just run in a pair of Dunlop GPracer211 mediums, and now exploring the limits they are so planted on sweepers, rock steady,, love them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
"First off, Knoche quickly dispatched the old wives' tale that the surface of the tire needs to be scuffed or roughed up to offer grip. "Maybe it's coming from the old days when people were spraying mold release on the tread when the molds were maybe not that precise," Knoche speculates, "and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying"

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've perpetuated the myths myself in the past before reading that article. After getting a new perspective, I noticed the last set of tires I bought new (Dunlop Q2's) felt stickier than my old ones cold just by touching them. Got them mounted, took off the sticker, and immediately went out for the first session of a trackday on a very cold morning. After a lap or two of heating up they felt great. Not like I was pushing it at my first trackday either.

I think a lot of accidents blamed on slippery new tires really boil down to just tires being cold. I've been too aggressive on cold tires and have gone down. Either way it still sucks haha

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
.. I noticed it on my tires, I dont change my riding style from when my tires are cold to hot lol.. When there was the "wax" along the sides, the back end would kick out around corners a lot easier then it does now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Easy fix for the back tire....get a water bottle, wet the tire, do a burn out like the bike dragsters do it. Not a long burn out, but just enough to get the molding oil off. I personally don't do it, but my mechanic does it for me after installing my tire. :)

Orrrr! You can just ride really light on the tires for 200 hundred miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Easy fix for the back tire....get a water bottle, wet the tire, do a burn out like the bike dragsters do it. Not a long burn out, but just enough to get the molding oil off. I personally don't do it, but my mechanic does it for me after installing my tire. :)

I'm not saying you should hop on a new tire and immediately ride hard on it but ... Don't perpetuate a false myth either. There is no mold release or wax used on tires anymore. They're supposed to be good to go once you have properly warmed them up.

Read the link I posted previously:
How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm not saying you should hop on a new tire and immediately ride hard on it but ... Don't perpetuate a false myth either. There is no mold release or wax used on tires anymore. They're supposed to be good to go once you have properly warmed them up.

Read the link I posted previously:
How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine
Just going off what my mechanic said. Seen too many crash video's where the guy buys a brand new bike or tire set. Better safe than sorry right?:idunno:

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
The thread title....I've Never had that problem :evilaugh:

Before I leave a garage with new tyres, I'm already shouting back at the guy "Don't forget to get the next set on order" :rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
167 Posts

really .. what does your smart mechanic do for your front tire? lol :idunno::thumbd::clap:

·
Registered
167 Posts
tires have a release agent in them that keeps them 'fresh' on the shelves.. and releases them from the mold when they make it

its called cosmoline (spelt wrong)

ride the bike gently for about 80-100 miles...

lesson leared....

shiny tires = bad
dull tires = good to go

1 - 20 of 22 Posts