Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all who care.I am a temp.newby I have just bought my first 954 and l am 75yrs young,l have only ridden it home from the bike shop and have started to give it a full service.The plugs that l removed are NGK R CR9EH9 which is not the right plugs re specs. Could those plugs be used for track days or just the previous owner had them laying around. I Have ordered Denso VUH27D, which l will fit, but curious to know why these plugs were used. Cheers and many thanks from Melb.Aus.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Welcome aboard & congrats on your 954RR. :)

Hard to say why exactly the previous owner ran those non-OE spec'ed sparkplugs - maybe he/she simply couldn't find a set of the factory NGK Iridiums in stock at their local parts store or he/she cheaped out since those CR9EH-9's cost roughly half of what the OEM Iridium NGK plugs ( IMR9C-9H ) sell for. Maybe the dealer installed 'em (?), who knows...

As you stated, Denso also lists a replacement plug for the 954 (there are usually two OEM replacement plugs listed in the Honda manuals IIRC; one by NGK and one by Denso, in case anyone else was wondering).

A quick search on the NGK webpage shows that those old plugs (CR9EH9) are of the same numbered ( "9" ) heat range (referring to NGK's parts nomenclature system - see here for further info, if interested: NGK.com: NGK Spark Plug Numbering Systems ) but they are of the standard "nickel" variety, not the correct Iridium style (which is usually the preferred material choice in most powersports/motorcycle applications - YMMV, of course!).

Hope that offers a little insight...

Reactions: chuckhunter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard & congrats on your 954RR. :)

Hard to say why exactly the previous owner ran those non-OE spec'ed sparkplugs - maybe he/she simply couldn't find a set of the factory NGK Iridiums in stock at their local parts store or he/she cheaped out since those CR9EH-9's cost roughly half of what the OEM Iridium NGK plugs ( IMR9C-9H ) sell for. Maybe the dealer installed 'em (?), who knows...

As you stated, Denso also lists a replacement plug for the 954 (there are usually two OEM replacement plugs listed in the Honda manuals IIRC; one by NGK and one by Denso, in case anyone else was wondering).

A quick search on the NGK webpage shows that those old plugs (CR9EH9) are of the same numbered ( "9" ) heat range (referring to NGK's parts nomenclature system - see here for further info, if interested: NGK.com: NGK Spark Plug Numbering Systems ) but they are of the standard "nickel" variety, not the correct Iridium style (which is usually the preferred material choice in most powersports/motorcycle applications - YMMV, of course!).

Hope that offers a little insight...
Hi Yes that does help, the only time l have ridden it was home from the dealer. I traded 1999 Blackbird, and was blown away by the difference . I bought the blackbird as to trade on but now l think that the 954 might be a KEEPER YAHOO. Many thanks and Cheers Brian.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts