Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm Jim and this is my first post. Hopefully you'll be able to help me fix my 94 cbr 900rr.

I went to start it today and the starter sounded like it had a problem. On removing the generator cover it seemed ok. This is where my limited knowledge fell short. The starter is turning the smaller cog which in turn is turning a larger one (flywheel?). However there is no real purchase if you know what i mean it is just spinning. Something is not engaging properly I reckon, but I have no idea what it is. Your help and advice would be much appreciated, cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
900 Posts
sounds like the starter is not throwing out, take the starter off and clean it up, Never had one apart myself, but recon it must be the same as a car starter...oh and :welcome:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Rick. I take it ITFC is Ipswich if so nice one I support em too. Not easy this season though. Nope starter is turning , that is turning the smaller cog which is positioned to turn the flywheel which is also turning. But that is where it all goes wrong there is no purchase and it doesn't sound like it is going to start. They just all spin freely.

·
Registered
900 Posts
yes a mighty blue follower, glad to here you have seen the light...lol
so the starter turns, as does the flywheel, but the engine doesnt turn over?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh Rick that's right. All spinning fine. But it just makes a high pitched whirring sound. Not the usual deeper sound, like there is no purchase etc. Clutching at straws now to be honest mate.

·
Registered
900 Posts
sounds to me like the starter clutch is faulty,best way to check is remove starter, then as you look at it through the hole, check that the idle/reduction gear rotates freely clockwise, but locks when you spin it anti clockwise, if not the starter clutch is faulty..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok . Rick do you mean clockwise from the right side of the bike or left? Also does that mean just changing the starter? What and where is the starter clutch?

·
Registered
900 Posts
As you pull the starter out, as you look through the hole it should move freely clockwise and lock antclockwise. Main thing it should only move in one direction.on my 929 the starter clutch is behind the alternator rotor. There are things called sprags they may be damaged, you will have to replace them. bit to complicated to explain on here, so best to get a workshop manual and follow it.. but check the starter clutch first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Rick, just tried pulled away the starter and the small and large cog along with the basket move in both directions. So something is wrong there. What did you say it would be mate?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thing called spraggs, they can get damaged and just need replacing, but if i was you i would invest in a manual for when you strip it down as its a bit to complicated to explain, but not difficult to do. At least you know what it is now:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorted it Rick. The bolt holding the flywheel and carrier on had worked loose. Tightened and torqued and we're back in business. Cheers mate.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Right result, well chuffed for you, at least something went well for you today, mind you first time beaten for a while..Snow permitting you can go for a blast tomorrow:thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts