Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I had a Message from a board member this morning saying he'd never seen a post of introduction from me. I apologize for my lack of knowlege of the etiquette on this board, so here goes.

I do own a Honda. It's an '82 GL1100 project bike that right now for the most part adorns the walls of my garage. The frame is on stands ready for the motor to be removed and cleaned up. No repairs to the motor outside of head rebuild and carb o/haul. How I ended up with this bike is quite a post for another time. No, I'm not a closet Honda lover. The first true sport bike I ever rode was a Blackbird at a demo ride at Shannonville Racetrack, and to say the least, it was a spirited ride and I was hooked. I am looking towards an RC51 in a couple of years if I get rid of the TLR. I do have a passion for the feel of the twins, but don't really feel the need to own an I4.

I rode a CBR900RR that my pal's son owns, and was impressed by the acceleration. I found the handling really twitchy but I don't know if that was that the set-up wasn't right for me, or that I'm just too used to the fat cow I presently prefer to ride and not real familiar with the 'Blade's light weight & nimble handling. (The fact that I almost weigh as much as the 'Blade may have something to do with it too :rotfl: .)

I also own a '03 Triumph Sprint ST. How I came about buying that (Wifey's choice, BTW :thumb: ) runs along the same storyline as the Wing aquisition. We've planned a trip in May to ride from here (I live in Canada but look across the Detroit River to Michigan) to Los Angeles, then take 12 days to ride back on Route 66 with another couple. Should be a blast.

As for how I came across this board, I was searching for info on Grattan and this board came up. I've been on several boards, and this is the best format I've ever seen and my heart felt congratulations go out to the Administrators.
:clap: :thumb:

As for type of rides I like, I'm not a lover of riding in large groups. I prefer the solitude, or just a small group. For those of you who may not know the geography of where I live, we get excited when we see a speed-bump because it's a change in elevation, and love a detour around construction because it's actually a turn that's not at a stop sign. I like to ride long distances and have been east to Newfoundland, a few tours around the rest of the Atlantic Provinces and Maine & been to Louisiana. On one trip to Nashville, we took a detour to St. Louis on the way back just because the guy I was with knew where to get a good Curry. (Any excuse for a ride, eh?) This summer I did 2066 KM's in 20 hrs 37 min's on the TLR. That was a blast and I would have made better time if it wasn't for so much freekin' liquid sunshine and 12 gas stops to fill that peanut sized tank.

Also, I love the track. (Sheeit, don't we all?) There is no rush like coming out the last turn at Grattan looking down that straight with the throttle pegged, and then dragging your right knee on turn 1 just before you drag the left on that off-camber turn 3. :freebird: While on the topic of the track at Grattan, I'd love to thank those involved in the making & posting of the videos. :clap: :thumb: I've downloaded ~ 1 Gig and enjoyed every minute of them.

Well, I guess that's about it, I kinda got carried away, but ............ Till next post...........

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Lemme guess, it was Pete :rotfl:

:welcome:
What a facking brain on this guy, eh? :rolleyes: :)

Thanks for the post Newfie! Good to get to know you and :welcome:

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Louisiana, it's my home state. Well, at least I hope you got drunk enough not to notice how dirty it is. :eyebrows:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
jetbdude said:
Or it could be Booth :)

No, Brainy-ack over there was right. I was just curious, since I hadn't seen him post any info on himself to date. Seemed like a nice guy, which is now obvious, so I figured no harm in asking. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the welcome.

Hondagal, I sure hope to. However, that is happening right around our anniversary. Although Wifey never has much to say about what I ride, with who, where and when, to go to a track day on or about our 25th anniversary may be pushing it a bit. :idunno: You, being of the fairer sex, would understand that, hmmmmmmmmmm??

ND4SPD, LMAO. You all know each other so well. I will say it was a very polite request. Not like I had at one other board that went something like "Who the feck are you and what the hell do you want??"

Pete, yes I did enjoy my visit(s). I've been there a few times, but only once by bike. I work for a company that has plants in Geismar and Baton Rouge, so I go there on business (with alot of pleasure mixed in :eyebrows: ) The one time I went on the bike, people were making comments like "You rode from Canada on THAT???" and stuff. I had a great time, lots of good people and food. There's also the French Quarter. Best music and most expensive booze in any one area I've ever been in.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
So is the "Newfie" in reference to the dog? If so, got any good info (links) on them? We're thinking of getting one this year...I love the grays, but they are hard to find!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
So are the dogs I'm talking about.

Oops. :D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Conq and LUVTOLEAN, you're both right. As for links to breeders, I don't have any, but there is a woman here in town who has owned a couple of Champion show dogs, and one she has (had maybe) one male I believe she puts out for stud, so she will probably know reputable breeders. I can find out some more info from her if you like. Those are awesome animals.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
No, that's OK, we've found some people locally too. Just wonderin' if you had anything handy. Thanks anyway. :)

Not looking for a show dog, just a sturdy, healthy pet.

·
Registered
522 Posts
tigerblade said:
Welcome Newfie! Glad to have you aboard Starship Fireblade.
Correction,

:welcome: to the United Federation of Fireblades currently enroute to the planet 954RR on the Starship USS Fireblade :thumb:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Athens954 said:
Correction,

:welcome: to the United Federation of Fireblades currently enroute to the planet 954RR on the Starship USS Fireblade :thumb:
Woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's some seriously heavy stuff there Athens.

Thanks too

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MACI4LIFE said:
welcome.

Good to see another Canadian on the .org
:welcome:
Now here's a guy who knows about all Newfie Jokes. But I'll warn ya MAC, I know more than you'll ever hear. :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts