Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
just bought a '01 929RR with about 12,000 miles on the counter. It didn't come with any manual, and though I ordered one, I'm trying to deal with some basics right now, that the previous owner couldn't explain to me. I did a search here first, but didn't find the answers.

I feel a bit dumb asking, since I'm normally good at pushing buttons etc, but I just can't figure out how to set the display. If I turn on my left signal, the display switches from miles to km - how do you stop this? Also, I can't seem to set the clock, or reset the trip meter. There are two buttons at the bottom of the display, but I tried pushing and holding and nothing seems to happen. How is this supposed to work?

Also, how far can you go typically when the gas indicator light goes on?

My previous bike was a 600F3, it had a reserve switch for the gas and no digital display whatsoever... thanks guys.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
:wstupid:

FWIW, I used to go about 110-120mi before the light came on. Not sure how much I had left after that, nor was I ever really anxious to find out.

To reset the clock you need to hit both buttons at the same time which will get your clock flashing so you can set it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Depending on your size, me & 2 others I ride with, all on 929, get anywhere from 125-160 on a tank. The farthest i have ridden with the fuel light on is ~10-15 miles.

·
Registered
682 Posts
"--how far can you go typically when the gas indicator light goes on?--" you will have roughly 0.92 US gallons left when the light inmdicator goes on red. Up to you to figure out how much farther you can run. All my figures are in metric since I live in Cdn.

Others are right for it is your RIGHT button that controls speed, milage, & temperature while the LEFT does work on the trip meter.

I use the latter a lot in that I top up the bike on petrol & set trip meter to 000 & ride till gas red light comes on, put that down in mind & aim for a fuel station. Fill up & again ride to where I am within close distance of when the above will happen again. So in to refuel & since the gas indicator did NOT go red. THAT is the rigure I have on the bike as a reference.

You see I have a Yamaha YF600r, Honda 929, & Honda 954 ALL read somewhat different. I prefer to note I am close to the gas light coming on & simply pick a decent fuel station & top up.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
ConqSoft said:
If he turns on his left signal, and it changes from mph to kph, then he has bigger issues than just needing to set the gauges.
I think he is just referring to the left button on the display. (I hope!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm afraid I wasn't. It's the turn signal. Each time I make a left turn, the display toggles between miles and kms - it toggles exactly in the rythm of the turn signal itself. So I need to pay attention to when I exactly I turn off the signal :mad:
The link to the manual was helpful though - now at least I know how it was supposed to work. I'll try to check out the wiring (or have it checked out).

·
Registered
682 Posts
OUCH!!! You have some correcting to do on the bike or SOMEONE has to correct it. For that would drive me a bit crazy.

Do let us know the final outcome.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Smitty said:
"--how far can you go typically when the gas indicator light goes on?--" you will have roughly 0.92 US gallons left when the light inmdicator goes on red. Up to you to figure out how much farther you can run. All my figures are in metric since I live in Cdn.

Others are right for it is your RIGHT button that controls speed, milage, & temperature while the LEFT does work on the trip meter.

I use the latter a lot in that I top up the bike on petrol & set trip meter to 000 & ride till gas red light comes on, put that down in mind & aim for a fuel station. Fill up & again ride to where I am within close distance of when the above will happen again. So in to refuel & since the gas indicator did NOT go red. THAT is the rigure I have on the bike as a reference.

You see I have a Yamaha YF600r, Honda 929, & Honda 954 ALL read somewhat different. I prefer to note I am close to the gas light coming on & simply pick a decent fuel station & top up.
does the fuel light go red after amber? I usually fill before it even comes on but I thought one time that after it was already on that it got brighter, might have just been me

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
svenbocklandt said:
I'm afraid I wasn't. It's the turn signal. Each time I make a left turn, the display toggles between miles and kms - it toggles exactly in the rythm of the turn signal itself. So I need to pay attention to when I exactly I turn off the signal :mad:
The link to the manual was helpful though - now at least I know how it was supposed to work. I'll try to check out the wiring (or have it checked out).
sounds like a short trace the wire for the left tur signal. Also if you do your own work I would order a service manual also, complete wiring diagrams etc :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
For the clock gotta hold both buttons till clock starts to flash, right for min. left hour, then leave, after bout 20 sec it'll stop flashing and be set, to get it started flashing sometimes gotta hold both buttons down couple times. I get about 110 miles before low fuel lite comes on. believe left button changes km/miles, push it to what you want, right changes trip a/b or vice versa on the buttons, if hold down just the right i think it'll reset your trip. off top of my head, if doesn't answer you ques. I'll look it up from manual.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Blade2000 said:
For the clock gotta hold both buttons till clock starts to flash, right for min. left hour, then leave, after bout 20 sec it'll stop flashing and be set, to get it started flashing sometimes gotta hold both buttons down couple times. I get about 110 miles before low fuel lite comes on. believe left button changes km/miles, push it to what you want, right changes trip a/b or vice versa on the buttons, if hold down just the right i think it'll reset your trip. off top of my head, if doesn't answer you ques. I'll look it up from manual.
Pressing both buttons might work sometimes, but the easy way is to press the right button, while holding it down, press the left and release both. You don't have to hold the right very long, just long enough to hit the left and release both.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
EatnAsphalt said:
Pressing both buttons might work sometimes, but the easy way is to press the right button, while holding it down, press the left and release both. You don't have to hold the right very long, just long enough to hit the left and release both.
:nod:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts