Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little brother was going to sell his beloved RC back to the insurance company for $500. I thought that was too good to pass up.

So now i'm the owner of a wrecked RC. it's an '01 and was in great mechanical shape.

He told me all the skins are gone and the front clip, but other than that...it's cool.

Where to begin?

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts
My little brother was going to sell his beloved RC back to the insurance company for $500. I thought that was too good to pass up.

So now i'm the owner of a wrecked RC. it's an '01 and was in great mechanical shape.

He told me all the skins are gone and the front clip, but other than that...it's cool.

Where to begin?
The frame -:thumb:

·
Registered
397 Posts
strip it and inspect it...check frame for cracks and such.

what do you plan to do with the bike??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good luck to ya'. Please, keep us informed as you go. Pictures, too, would be nice.

AND....:welcome: to the dot org. You can now NEVER leave!!!

For the most part, none of us bite. Loads of great folks on here to help when we can.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
sixes is correct!! post pics

·
Registered
73 Posts
You're far luckier than you realize. I would also recommend being a member of the rc51.org site. Between the rogue site and here you'll find all the information you could ever need. As for parts scottsms.com is great, he's talked me through a few things -or- through the rogue site mike wheeler and dan kyle racing have alot of 'stuff'. Pics Please! Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is the best time of year to put a bike back together. Speedzilla is a pretty good place to get stuff for an RC. I have bought and sold lots of stuff on there. In fact I just purchased a set of C/F body work off Zilla for my RC. :evilaugh:

If you need anything let me know I have tons o stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
guys, thanks!

I think i am going to do the ebay thing unless I see something better.

I am chasing down your advice, and I am humbled by how much you seem to know!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I never saw stock forks with the silver and black tops....what year were those forks avail??
Those are SP2 forks, on '02 - '06 bikes. The forks on '04 CBR1000RR also had the same fork caps.
The SP1 forks have different fork caps and preload adjusters than SP2 forks.

On the SP1 forks, when you rotate the reload adjuster, it moves up or down in the fork cap with graduated lines to gauge amount.

On the SP2 forks, as you rotate the preload adjuster cap, the adjuster inside the fork cap and moves up or down with no external visual reference.
So you have to count the number of turns.

On a more important note, the SP2 fork caps disassemble differently than the SP1 fork caps. If disassembled incorrectly, you can damage the internal damper rod, possibly requiring replacement of the entire cartridge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts