Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here (actually I was registered a couple years ago but have been gone since). Anyways, I have a '00 929 with 7000 miles. I've downed the bike once going maybe 5-10 mph on the left side and cracked the generator cover and replaced it. No problems since then (about 4000 miles ago). Today I went for a ride, came back, and noticed oil dripping onto the top of the generator cover from the frame. Is this coming from the valve cover? If so is there any way to fix w/out replacing the damn gasket?
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
188 Posts
Something rare, but I once had something ding my oil filter and put a crack in it and had oil leaking from the bottom of it. It couldn't be seen from the top, so it wasn't easy to detect.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Did you have frame sliders on when it fell over? I've heard of people torqueing them too much and cracking the block a little bit causing oil to seep out. Maybe falling directly on it did the same thing. If not, sounds like the valve cover gasket, try torqueing them down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately I didn't put frame sliders on until after I downed it. I just don't understand how it can start to leak all of a sudden for no reason. I'll try the valve cover bolts first...how hard is it to get to them?

·
Registered
145 Posts
the other possibility is that you had a crack before but you didnt notice, that cracked could have just got worst due to vibrations, bumps, ect. It might have just grew over time. did you use gasket maker?

hey Im a noob to, dont worry things can only get better from now on.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts