Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Great find.. :thumb:

I love the body language during the conversation at the end.... ;)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Anybody else notice what brand he's wearing now??

Gone are the Joe Rockets. He went for the big bucks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Newfie TLR said:
Anybody else notice what brand he's wearing now??

Gone are the Joe Rockets. He went for the big bucks.
Joe Rocket is not too big outside the states.

What was he saying to Colin? Something about Paris at the end? Hilton or France? Nice video though, looks good for first time back on the big V5.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you haven't seen Phozed's new avatar yet, its Nicky leading Matt Mladin on the GSXR1000. Anyone come across any of Matts lap times on the GSXR1000? Just curious to see how much faster the RC211V5 is. And whos Suzuki Gp machine was Matt riding, #44 is that Akira Ryo?

·
Registered
343 Posts
www.crash.net has some pics from the test - this is from soup:

Reports from the circuit had Mladin circulating at 2 - 3 seconds off the pace of regular team riders Kenny Roberts and John Hopkins. A remarkable effort given the short period of track time, difference in machine performance and characteristics and different brand of tyres that he is familiar with.

"I had about an hour on the bike which saw me do about a dozen or so flying laps," said Mladin. "It turned out to be rather frustrating actually as I was initially told that I could have a full day on the bike to try and put an independent evaluation in it. In the end I didn't get enough time on the bike to give them too much to work on."

http://amasuperbike.com/2004/Jan/040123mm.htm

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks Phozed, but I was hoping to find the times of him on the GSXR1000 not the Gp Bike. I already read about his times on the GSV-R, thanks anyways though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't think Suzuki ever released Mladin or Yates G1K times....this might be an indication why :

“I did confirm a lot of what John and Kenny have been saying, but I never really got the chance (to do more). To give them a proper confirmation I’d have had to go through at least a day’s worth of testing to make the motorcycle at least fit me a little bit better. It’s a GP bike that’s easily capable of 2.04s or 2.05s and I did a seven, so you can’t give positive feedback. I went slower on the GP bike than I did on my AMA Superbike. I couldn’t be too critical because of the short stint I did

So if he was 3 seconds slower on the MotoGP bike, and went faster on the G1K, well, that doesn't speak much for the MotoGP bike. Or maybe it doesn't speak much for KRJR and Hopper. I'm interested to see what Gregorio can do on the bike....I wouldn't be suprised if they got rid of Hopper after this latest incident...there doesn't seem to be alot of positive vibes between the team and Hopper.

CycleNews Link

·
Registered
304 Posts
CyBeR929 said:
I don't think Suzuki ever released Mladin or Yates G1K times....this might be an indication why :

“I did confirm a lot of what John and Kenny have been saying, but I never really got the chance (to do more). To give them a proper confirmation I’d have had to go through at least a day’s worth of testing to make the motorcycle at least fit me a little bit better. It’s a GP bike that’s easily capable of 2.04s or 2.05s and I did a seven, so you can’t give positive feedback. I went slower on the GP bike than I did on my AMA Superbike. I couldn’t be too critical because of the short stint I did

So if he was 3 seconds slower on the MotoGP bike, and went faster on the G1K, well, that doesn't speak much for the MotoGP bike. Or maybe it doesn't speak much for KRJR and Hopper. I'm interested to see what Gregorio can do on the bike....I wouldn't be suprised if they got rid of Hopper after this latest incident...there doesn't seem to be alot of positive vibes between the team and Hopper.

CycleNews Link
Thanks cyber929

MM faster on the 1K than the Gp bike, thats kinda funny. Not sure what to make of that. The 2 long straights must be a big help for the big 1000. Doesnt look like the Suzuki Gp bike is going to take very many top 10s this year. As for Hopper, he really needs to think a little harder next time. Racers would kill even for his seat, motocross is great for preparing for season, but competing, and trying to hit triples is not the smartest thing to do. So I guess Akira Ryo might get a chance this year.

Did anyone see the Mladin replica Suzuki is offering this year? No difference in performance, just some decals. What do yall think of these replica bikes (Nicky, Colin, Matt)? I dont really like them. :hmm:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Uh, the two long straight should have helped the GP bike. The GSXR displaces what, 8 more CCs? The GP bike should be throwing down at least 20 more horses and be lighter. If matty boy had more time to get used to the GP machine he would have waxed his superbike times. He just likes to bitch about anything.
The replica bikes? They've been around for a long time. From the long before the Vance and Hines Yamahas in the mid 90s to the Smokin' Joes of the late 90s, they'll always be sold. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but people buy them.

But that Champion's edition R1 man, that's a collector's item on top of being the magic bike. :evillaugh:

·
Registered
304 Posts
BDA116 said:
Uh, the two long straight should have helped the GP bike. The GSXR displaces what, 8 more CCs? The GP bike should be throwing down at least 20 more horses and be lighter. If matty boy had more time to get used to the GP machine he would have waxed his superbike times. He just likes to bitch about anything.
The replica bikes? They've been around for a long time. From the long before the Vance and Hines Yamahas in the mid 90s to the Smokin' Joes of the late 90s, they'll always be sold. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but people buy them.

But that Champion's edition R1 man, that's a collector's item on top of being the magic bike. :evillaugh:
I know the Gp bike is faster on the straights, what I ment was the the straights probably helped the 1000 times, compared to the Gp bikes (The more curves slower the times for the AMA spec bike). No doubt MM would have waxed his times if had enough time to set the bike up to his likings. Plus contrary to the GSXR1000 name its only 988cc, but I'm not sure if the AMA GSXR1000 has more. And yes replica bikes have been out for a while, but read what I said. "Did anyone see the Mladin replica Suzuki is offering this year? No difference in performance, just some decals. What do yall think of these replica bikes (Nicky, Colin, Matt)? I dont really like them.

Just curious DBA, what bikes do you have? I'm guessing you have an R-1, am I right? Did you own a Honda?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had hoped that the Mladin rep would have all the stuff they had on the "stock" bike last year...throttle bodies, etc, because they are going to need it this year to compete against the Duc (with rules advantages) and the Honda which appears very capable out of the box. Unfortuantly, it's just stickers :rant: . I wouldn't spend $200 on stickers, but to each his own.

HA....you should do a search on '04 R1's to find out what BDA really thinks...when searching, use words like "Taz" "2004 R1" "ugliest abomination to come out of Japan since Godzilla" and "fat ugly pig" :rotfl:

As far as Hopper....man, I hope he's not punching that gift horse in the mouth. He (and his current POA) have been pretty vocal (especially her) about the Suzuki's shortcomings. That's fine to tell the truth, but sometimes it seems to just get into Suzy bashing which can be detrimental to your career. Tons of people would kill for that seat and to be, what...23?, and have a MotoGP ride is awesome. He shouldn't shoot himself in the foot (or ankles for that matter) by being over critical and doing stupid stuff like taking on injuries right as testing for the new year is starting. If nothing else, he should just ride it out and hope that he doesn't get labeled a whiner (see Mladin) so he can pick up another ride in the future. Hopper's wreck may be the best thing that ever happened Lavilla.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Uh, yeah. Me owning an R1. :rotfl:
You really need to hone your sarcasm detecting abilities.
I currently do not own any sportbike, but have a 954 at my disposal for track duties.
I just sold my street 954 in November because I didn't have any fun riding it on the streets. I do own a few Honda four wheelers, and might just pick up a Honda dirty bike this summer.
I don't plan on buying any sport bikes for street duty anywhere in the near future.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh ok, I got you now DBA. The sarcasm slipped right by my radar. :idunno: I understand now :thumb:. I too dont like riding sportbikes on the street anymore. I have 2 bikes just for street riding, and I really dont even ride them anymore. Insurance and tickets really burns holes in your pocket. :( And the only reason I dont sell the 929 and GSXR is because I bought them new, and they are perfect, dont want to take a loss by selling them. Plus they look so good in my living room :smilebig:.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts