Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sorry but I have been searching on here but the search results that I find have a lot of different stuff and I can't find my answers there. I have an 07 cbr 1000rr that, performance wise is stock. I plan on getting a power commander and slip on. I am not a racer or stunter. I am considering getting a dry nitrous system for my bike with a 20oz. bottle. Although it is a squid like idea it is mostly for looks. I will probably hit it from time to time and maybe take it to the drag strip a couple of times for fun.

Here are my main concerns. Is it legal to have a vehicle on the street with a working nitrous system? I know it is probably a state thing so is it legal in Ohio?

The 07 rr has an undertail exhaust system. Where can I mount the bottle on an 07 / How close can the bottle be to the exhaust? Does anyone have an 07cbr they ride on the street with a nitrous system installed? Any advice about installing it?

The system comes with 3 jets 20hp 30hp and 40hp. I'm assuming thats the estimated horse power that spray will make. Is that correct? I'm confused because if it was put on a 600cc how would the same spray create the same power for a larger engine like a 1000cc?

If its on a stock or mostly stock system but rarely used will it mess the engine up a lot?

Where can I get the bottle filled if I decide to get this kit? Do most performance / speed shops do it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope I'm not coming across like the starter of that thread. Like I said its's mostly for looks. I do not plan on using it on the street, just having it there. Thanks for the link though I did get a lil info from it. Still got a lot of questions though.

·
Registered
824 Posts
the jets will make the same HP no matter what...its the amount of nitrous that is reacting with the fuel and because it gives more oxygen, it gives more power...dont go any higher than 35hp total between the 2 jets on stock internals...and make sure you compensate with the PC3...nitrous is a very stable gas when at room temp but when it gets heated up it becomes very combustible...the nitrogen atom separates from the o2 and leaves nitrogen(inert) and oxygen...when they are together it isnt combustible at all...but when heated to very high temps(like in an engine) it does wonders..,.just dont have the bottle touching the exhaust and it will be fine...it can be near it but you dont want the bottle in contact with the exhaust because the heat will transfer much more rapidly and you could potentially have a bomb sitting behind you...the HP that the jets are rated for is engine HP so you will loose about 3-5% of that at the wheel...but like i said...on a stock 07 dont go any higher than 35 even with fuel management..on my R6 i only had i8t set up for 20hp total and it was a very nicer little boost...also...dont hit it under 6Krpm...and NEVER in 1st gear...second gear is questionable...third and up is good

·
Registered
824 Posts
only some states have laws against the bike having it hooked up while driving...you could always tell the cop its for an air shifter or for air suspension?? if hes not into that stuff he'll never know..also get the multi-map switch for the PC3 so you can change between your normal map and the nitrous map...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good thing it's mostly for show....cause you'll get next to nowhere with 20oz. If you're mounting it near the exhaust, get a gauge and mount it where you can watch it while in the seat. Nitrous boils at -127 degrees BELOW zero and heat will make pressure creep up there pretty quick. That pressure hits around 1400 lbs and the safety disc is going to blow and you'll probably die of a heart attack instead of wrecking. I've had 2 go on me and they will scare the crap outta you (LOUD). You're VERY limited on mounting space (even with the 20oz bottle). You might consider mounting it on maybe rear passenger footpeg. You won't be bothered with cramming it in a tight space and it'll get plenty of public exposure (that you're wanting anyways, right?) Most speed shops can fill your bottles. It runs around 4 bucks a pound here. Don't go huffing it, it has sulfur dioxide in it and you'll puke your brains out for an hour afterwards.

·
Registered
824 Posts
thats where i mounted mine...off the footpeg...a 20oz bottle will give you a lot of pulls which is nice....my 1 1/4 (20oz) bottle lasted a real long time with my jets set at 20hp....i only filled the bottle once and it is still about half full...at least thats what they told me when they weighed it last...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.