Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought another blade.... I fear I may be developing a slight problem 😂

I will reveal all on Thursday when she has been delivered, this one is a bit of a gamble. Pretty good mileage, has an Mot and apparently rides well but other than that 🤷🏼‍♀️ Fingers crossed it’s not a complete sh*t box 🧐

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here she is, I know I said Thursday but I’m impatient! It’s a 1994, guy spent £500 on brakes and fork seals etc to get it through MOT, apparently it’s sat for 12 years but after cleaning the carbs and sorting a sticky throttle cable it was ridden to and from the MOT station with no issues. There is a small dent in the tank and some decals missing from the front fairing, not sure about the orange wheels but other than that looks ok, fingers crossed for her arrival Thursday 🤞🏼

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
😬😬😬

Bike was delivered today, the sticker kit is a bit rough and there is some less than perfect paint in a few places but other than that I’m really happy with it. Starts and runs great, took a minute of playing with the throttle before it would idle on its own but then with no choke it was fine. Ran it up the road and the gear box feels good and the brakes are better than my 929, looks like it has new braided lines, new screen, bar ends and a few other bits. I’ll get into it properly this weekend but so far so good 😊

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
First ride out to fill her up and it all started fine, rode a mile to the patrol station ok then went scenic route home. After a mile or so I wound it open and it was hesitant but pulled reasonably then felt like it was running on 3 for a minute.... then 2..... then 1... then none! Pushed it the rest of the way home 😂 anyone have any bright ideas before I start pulling it apart? My gut feel says fuel supply so I’ll start there I guess.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok so the petcock “on” position was not letting fuel through, I turned it “off” and it flooded out. Back to On and it’s now flooding out again. I’ll strip that down in time and get it sorted. Bike is now running but only on 2 cylinders, sitting on the bike the left 2 are hot and the right 2 cold so presumably not one of the coils, anyone?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the first 2 cylinders would no run? I’m running out of ideas...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So today I have checked each plug has a spark, all seem good. I took off the fuel filter and cleaned it out, put it crack together and it wouldn’t start, cylinder number 3 was firing that’s it! Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look next? Apparently the carbs were cleaned before I bought it but that’s my next port of call

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,154 Posts
Could be a fuel pump issue. Have you tried going from a remote tank right to the carbs?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be a fuel pump issue. Have you tried going from a remote tank right to the carbs?
that was next on the list. I took the tank off today and moving it around I can gear a load of crud swishing around in the tank. I pulled the carbs and they all look pretty clear but I will give them a proper clean and get them back on. The petcock is broken, I drilled the rivets and there is a piece snapped off inside. I wanted to see if I could utilise the one from my 98 but the newer one has the vacuum line. I have read about people going gravity feed and bypassing the pump all together but I can’t see a place to take a vacuum line from on the engine like on the 98. I’ll stick the carbs back on tomorrow and rig up a remote fuel supply bypassing the pump and report back. Any suggestions on a replacement petcock that isn’t OEM? The Honda ones are not cheap!

·
8,154 Posts
that was next on the list. I took the tank off today and moving it around I can gear a load of crud swishing around in the tank. I pulled the carbs and they all look pretty clear but I will give them a proper clean and get them back on. The petcock is broken, I drilled the rivets and there is a piece snapped off inside. I wanted to see if I could utilise the one from my 98 but the newer one has the vacuum line. I have read about people going gravity feed and bypassing the pump all together but I can’t see a place to take a vacuum line from on the engine like on the 98. I’ll stick the carbs back on tomorrow and rig up a remote fuel supply bypassing the pump and report back. Any suggestions on a replacement petcock that isn’t OEM? The Honda ones are not cheap!
There should be a nipple with a black cap on it near the number 1 intake (far left sitting on bike). I’ve removed 2 fuel pumps from 93’s and went to the SC33 vacuum style. That nipple should be there. It’s in a different spot than your SC33.

I’ve heard the cheap stuff ends up leaking. I’ve spent the $$ on the OE ones without an issue.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There should be a nipple with a black cap on it near the number 1 intake (far left sitting on bike). I’ve removed 2 fuel pumps from 93’s and went to the SC33 vacuum style. That nipple should be there. It’s in a different spot than your SC33.

I’ve heard the cheap stuff ends up leaking. I’ve spent the $$ on the OE ones without an issue.
thanks Ian, that would make sense because on the sc33 the nipple is on the second intake which is where I looked on the sc28 👀

is there a tried and tested way to get all the rusty debris out of the tank? I presume if it’s sat at the bottom it won’t get picked up but still I’d rather eliminate that from the equation. I will get the tank clean and install gravity system and the petcock from the sc33 👍🏼

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had a quick look this morning and I can’t see an obvious blanked off nipple to take the vacuum line from 🤔 unless I can use one of the little Allen bolts that is in the collar of every inlet?

·
8,154 Posts
Wow, maybe the UK version didn’t include it, but the US one did. Part number 6.
You can use the washer from the bolt that’s in there now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok great, I have ordered the part. Can I use a non vacuum petcock and leave out the Vac line just go straight gravity feed omitting the pump?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ghetto fuel setup in action 😂 ran her up and it started.... was firing on 3, cylinder 1 was out. Changed all plugs and 1 came back online. Thought that was it but bike still struggled to get high in the Rev range, anything over 5k it struggled to go any higher 😩 fired it up again and cylinder 3 was out. Could a bad rectifier be to blame? Maybe an air leak? For some unknown reason the hose clips that hold the carbs to the inlets are missing, they feel like they are seated will but maybe I have just answered my own question!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Used a set of jubilee clips to secure the carbs to the engine and no improvement. If I hold the throttle fully upon the bike pulls to 5k and then won’t go higher. I held fully open and hit the kill switch, pulled the plugs and they are all very different, they are lined up in the order of the cylinders

number 1 is sooty, 2 clean, 3 a bit wet and 4 clean. What does this mean? They are a fresh set or iridium plugs

·
8,154 Posts
Ok great, I have ordered the part. Can I use a non vacuum petcock and leave out the Vac line just go straight gravity feed omitting the pump?
Yes you can, but then you have to remember to ALWAYS turn the valve off after a ride or 🏃🏼‍♀️ by the engine. The vacuum diaphragm on the SC33 unit does that for you. If you use the SC28 valve direct to the carbs there is no way for the fuel to stop without you turning the valve to off. You can run the risk of flossing a cylinder and then flooding your crankcase

Used a set of jubilee clips to secure the carbs to the engine and no improvement. If I hold the throttle fully upon the bike pulls to 5k and then won’t go higher. I held fully open and hit the kill switch, pulled the plugs and they are all very different, they are lined up in the order of the cylinders
View attachment 108898
number 1 is sooty, 2 clean, 3 a bit wet and 4 clean. What does this mean? They are a fresh set or iridium plugs
I would say the carbs need a good cleaning, and by good, I mean 100% disassembly as I’ve shown before. Ultrasonic, wire probes, etc. I would also save money and stick with the standard NGK CR9EH9 spark plugs. No need for the iridium in these old girls.

Looks like 2 and 4 aren’t getting fuel.

You also might want to do a compression check as well. Easy enough to rule out a ring seal problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts