Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked thread after thread here and keep coming back to the same fixes and my 954 seems possessed with something not earthly. :evilaugh: Turn the key on, dash lights up, red light comes on, she's in neutral, turns over like crazy but headlights never come on, fuel pump does not prime, there is zero spark.

Here's what has been checked/changed.
-ECM - bought one from a member here, still nothing
-Installed new zenier diode, about 9.4V showing with key on, zero off
-swapped the relays around (all 3)
-ran 12v to the fuel pump - hums beautifully
-Checked green wire (that or brown, can't remember but I found the reference here) running to the pump, 12v check
-Checked/cleaned kill switch, it was immaculate but I cleaned it anyway
-Checked all tip sensors, but those never really seemed like an issue anyway, just felt like I was chasing my tail.

I'm officially out of ideas at this point. It started acting goofy last year, shot some wd40 down the ignition per a suggestion from here and it worked off and on for a few more months. Had a couple instances where it would fire up every time for a few days, then get stupid for a few days. Then last year in October, rode to work, had light rain that day and came out and voila - no lights, no spark, no fuel pump prime. I think the rain was a coincidence, like I said it had been acting up off and on before that. As I understand it, the inside of the ignition switch contains nothing more than tumblers so I haven't replaced it since it seems more mechanical in nature than electrical.

Is she parting-out fodder or is there still hope? I feel like I'm chasing a gremlin that's never going to reveal itself. My local Honda dealer has basically converted to a Victory/Goldwing dealer shows little to zero interest in working on sportbikes so I feel like I may just get drained taking it there. Sure would be nice if these suckers had a data port like vehicles where a computer could tell you what/why it's not playing nice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not 100% on this but I think the voltage on the pink wire needs to be below 9 volts to override the anti theft feature. Try a 2.2k resistor on the pink wire, you can get them at RadioShack in 5 packs for less than a dollar. I think your diode might not be dropping the voltage enough.

·
Registered
170 Posts
And you are correct about the ignition itself, besides the diode dropping voltage to below 9v it doesn't matter, so don't worry about that

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, voltage is now at 8.38v after installing a 5.1 zener diode and still nothing. I did find a broken wire and one with damaged insulation/exposed wire in the series of 4 connectors in front of the engine. One was orange, one green, but neither were in the ignition connector. Also verified the pink that leads out of the connector that the ignition switch plugs in to is receiving 8.38v and it is. I'm out of steam at this point, already 2 months into the riding season and not looking like she'll be with me much longer unless there are any last ditch ideas.

·
Registered
430 Posts
-ran 12v to the fuel pump - hums beautifully
-Checked green wire (that or brown, can't remember but I found the reference here) running to the pump, 12v check
When you ran 12V to the pump did you also run an earth? or did you just do the +12v?

One thing I've picked up about these bikes from this forum is they suffer from terrible earth points. Have you inspected the major earthing points for corroded/broken wires?

Is the neutral light on before you start?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts