Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to trying to get my valves checked, after reading so much about it. So, after taking my cbr954, which has no problems starting whatsoever, and in fact, starts immediately every time, both mechanics (both who know my bike very well) told me that there absolutely no reason to chek my valves unless i'm having trouble starting my bike. now, you can imagine, i'm perplexed because first, its reccomended to check them at 25,000km, secondly, lots of people here check their valves all the time. but these mechanics are adamant about waiting until there is some sign, i.e--trouble starting the bike, knocking in the engine, etc.--before i even think about doing it. these mechanics also drive sports bikes everyday and work on a very, very large group of fellow sports bike riders--around 30 sport bikes in all--and they really know their ****, and people, myself included, come from far away to have them repair our bikes.

i have 60,000km on my bike. what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Basically it is a gamble. So far you've done well but it doesn't mean you can say it's not nec. Checking valves ensures all is well. With 60k I would think you should at least inspect. At least you know where you stand. After all, checking the clearances is certainly much easier than actually making the adjustments.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I finally got around to trying to get my valves checked, after reading so much about it. So, after taking my cbr954, which has no problems starting whatsoever, and in fact, starts immediately every time, both mechanics (both who know my bike very well) told me that there absolutely no reason to chek my valves unless i'm having trouble starting my bike. now, you can imagine, i'm perplexed because first, its reccomended to check them at 25,000km, secondly, lots of people here check their valves all the time. but these mechanics are adamant about waiting until there is some sign, i.e--trouble starting the bike, knocking in the engine, etc.--before i even think about doing it. these mechanics also drive sports bikes everyday and work on a very, very large group of fellow sports bike riders--around 30 sport bikes in all--and they really know their ****, and people, myself included, come from far away to have them repair our bikes.

i have 60,000km on my bike. what are your thoughts?
Checking the clearances is a fairly easy job so it shouldn't be avoided.
Write down the clearances every time you check them and you can extrapolate ahead to when you're likely to need to actually adjust them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
to put some perspective on this
i got this 900rr which i just sold with 23000miles so 35k ish km's and it ran very well but i checked the valves all the same when i serviced it and 2 were almost touching at 0.02mm and 5 were all under 0.10mm so there you have it a bit tighter and a burnt valve which is proper expensive to fix.

an engine will run fine with tight valves and it will purr with no rattles giving the impression all is well then bang:crap:

get them checked bud as checking is easy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, i see the logic; i'll get them checked immediately. however, since i don't have a manual, can someone please tell me what they should be in-between??

I appreciate it very much! Thank, frank

·
Registered
59 Posts
They can tighten up and cause all kinds of grieve, not worth the risk as stated.

A friends car started running like crap, he said it "just" happened, so I check it out, its missing, compression test shows one low cylinder, I asked if he ever had his valves done, he gave me that deer in the headlight look, sure enough, his valves had tightened up, adjusted to spec and he said its never run this good, more power, runs smoother, :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts