Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a bit of spoon-feed request .

..so went to start the bike up for the first time in a while and the starter wont engage, not even a click. Im getting the click from the headlight relay turning off and thats all. Iv tried the jump starter, charged the battery, charged the jumpstarter, so its definitely not the battery.

What's the first thing I should check?

I'll admit i havent checked anything yet or even looked in the manual, id just thought id run it by you guys in case its an easy answer

Id do the same for you!

cheers

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,051 Posts
Jump the starter relay with a screw driver acroos the terminals. It's where the main fuse is kept. 2 Allen head bolts. If the starter bumps then you have a bad solenoid. They fry sometimes as part of the charging system overcharging problem. The connector could be melted. Give it a look-see.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Ian.
Ok, I'm going to fall on my sword here...

After reading your reply, i decided to go out and have a look, and on the way to the garage i asked myself, "are you sure it was in neutral?"

It was in gear on its side stand, I'm a f'cking idiot.

Im pretty embarrassed, do you mind if i delete my posts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
I actually have that problem and it's not in gear
I also have a Merlin 3000 alarm
I initially thought that might be the issue but after reading iandoohan reply I think that might be the problem
However I have no idea where those terminals are and how to test it
If you could guide me that would be great
Thx

·
8,051 Posts
Hi
I actually have that problem and it's not in gear
I also have a Merlin 3000 alarm
I initially thought that might be the issue but after reading iandoohan reply I think that might be the problem
However I have no idea where those terminals are and how to test it
If you could guide me that would be great
Thx
If you have a 900RR:

It's the red connector at the top of the photo, to the right of the positive battery cable below the sub frame rail. To the left of the red connector is a flimsy rubber cap/cover that covers the 2 Allen head screws that need to be jumped with the screwdriver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok perfect I did that and started the bike
I checked the fuse and it looks intact however the terminals seem corroded in the relay
Does that mean the solenoid needs to be changed?
Thx again for the advice

·
8,051 Posts
Ok perfect I did that and started the bike
I checked the fuse and it looks intact however the terminals seem corroded in the relay
Does that mean the solenoid needs to be changed?
Thx again for the advice
Yes, generally that means the starter solenoid is bad, which is located in that housing. Check the terminals on the red plug to make sure they aren't melted sometimes the wires fry and short out, making the solenoid not work properly.

·
8,051 Posts
Hey iandoohan
I cleaned the terminals and changed the solenoid
Still the same
Do you have any other suggestions?
Thx
How about your ignition 10 amp fuse? Make sure all your multi pin connectors are tight and free of corrosion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you think maybe the alarm is the cause
When I try to start the bike and I press the ignition button the headlight goes out but nothing happens
I've checked every fuse on the bike
Thx

·
8,051 Posts
Do you think maybe the alarm is the cause
When I try to start the bike and I press the ignition button the headlight goes out but nothing happens
I've checked every fuse on the bike
Thx
It could definitely be the alarm, but I don't know anything about them. Did it run before the alarm was installed? The headlight will go out to direct that power to the starter. That's normal. Have you checked all the safety switches? Side stand, clutch, and neutral? Does the neutral light come on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The thing is it worked with the alarm for the last 10 years
But something happened after I put the trickle charger a few monthes ago
And it is on neutral it's not the side stand because the bike is in neutral

·
8,051 Posts
Yes I have a multimeter
Try these procedures. It may be possible something in the charging system has gone south.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

Put the meter across the battery. Turn the bike on and notice the voltage drop. Then thumb the starter and see if the voltage goes down to useless very quickly (like to 8VDC). Maybe putting the batt on the trickle this year ruined it. It may initially show 12 or 13 VDC, but when the button is pushed it goes flat immediately. You would need a new battery.

Other than that all I can offer is to check the ignition wires coming out of the key switch. Do you have voltage going to the relay? You said you jumped the relay and it started, right? Gotta be somewhere from the switch to the key to the solenoid. Keep checking. Here is a link to the wiring Diagram:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/104836-900rr-wiring-diagrams.html

·
8,051 Posts
Well that's good news. Did you put the connections back on the relay properly? The positive battery terminal goes on the outside connection, closest to the fairing, and the negative goes to the one closest to the battery. Very strange dilemma you have here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts