Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new clutch cable on my 2001 929rr (it was missing when I bought the bike) but I am not feeling any pressure at all on the lever. Does the engine need to be running for there to be pressure? Anything else I could be missing? Seems like it should be pretty straight forward so I'm a bit confused unless this means the clutch is gone.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Should make no difference whether engine is running or not. How was the clutch feel before you took the old cable off? Sounds like it's just a matter of proper adjustment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I didn't think the engine should be running, but couldn't think of anything else. I don't know how the lever felt before because there wasn't a cable on it when I got it. I tried messing with the adjustment and I took it to the limit and still couldn't get any pressure.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Chances are the clutch cover was removed and they just put the cover back on without making sure the clutch cover mechanism was properly married with the pressure plate. If there is no play in your clutch cable then you will have to find a copy of the proper procedure to install the clutch cover and clutch cable. Make sure you buy your clutch gasket before removing the cover. No gaskets will probably lead to oil leaks

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the clutch cover has a form fitted o-ring. ?

Are you sure you had all the slack out of the line when you tightened the cable at the clutch arm?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Sabotage, I had that thought that maybe something inside wasn't hooked up correctly.

Jondog9, not sure what you mean with your question. The only two adjustments I saw were at the bottom where the two bolts go on the cable bracket and at the handle. I tried adjusting the handle adjustment all the way out to allow the cable to pull as far as possible and I adjust the bottom pretty far (but not all the way). maybe I'll try adjust that one all the way out too and see if I get anything. I'll try to take a picture to post if I can too.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,059 Posts
Hey there Eyedriver, can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by the clutch was "missing"? Are we talking just the plates or the entire inner and outer basket assemblies too? The lever pull on a stock clutch is pretty easy and linear. Mine however with the Barnett springs gives you arm pump in seconds. If your lever just flops around with no tension on it at all then there is definitley a problem. Pics inside and out would help greatly. Sometimes the actuator that's in the outer cover isn't engaged properly to the lifter pin. Also putting the clutch lifter pin in after the pressure plate can mess things up too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just the clutch cable was missing. I was under the impression (foolishly I now realize) that I would just need to replace the cable and be good to go. I haven't taken the clutch cover off at all yet. I'll probably have to do that this weekend and see if I can figure out what's not working.

·
8,059 Posts
Just the clutch cable was missing. I was under the impression (foolishly I now realize) that I would just need to replace the cable and be good to go. I haven't taken the clutch cover off at all yet. I'll probably have to do that this weekend and see if I can figure out what's not working.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I clearly didn't see the word CABLE in your first post. My eyes aren't what they used to be:D. Maybe I should stop posting at 0430 in the morning;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy I bought it from said it broke. He hadn't had it for very long and it had a few things that needed fixed but it only had 10k on the clock and it seemed to run well. hopefully I don't regret picking it up.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
post up a couple pictures before you pull the cover. id like to see a pic of the cable hooked into the clutch lever and pull all the slack out of the cable by going to the other end n holding the outer sheath and pulling the actual cable out all the way. then hold it up to the mounting bracket on the clutch cover so we can see how much cable there is with it pulled tight. im wondering if it might not just be the wrong cable. might give us a better idea if we had some pictures. i know its a fairly simple concept to install one but maybe your just doing it wrong. ive seen people get the wrong cable before as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pics attached. As you can see, I have the adjustment on the handle all the way out (initially I had it in more). I also included a picture of the cable disconnected at the bottom with me pulling on it so you can see how long it is. I also showed how far I can push the lever by hand with no pressure except from the lever spring as well as a picture of the whole side of the bike so you can see the cable routing. I'm pretty sure that's correct as I followed the diagrams in the repair manual. Any thoughts before I pull the cover?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
ill say i think its def something behind the cover based on how far you can push it forward by hand. on my 954(which is pretty much the same everything with a slightly bigger bore) that when my clutch is engaged it sits at about 11:55 if the arm was the minute hand on a clock. when you pull the lever to disengage its at just about the 12 mark. im not sayingits impossible to move by hand to the 12 mark but its very hard to push to that position by hand. in the pic looks like your pushing it up to the 1 mark with ease. cable appears to be correct and youve got it all in there how it should be. with a new cable your shouldnt have any problem adjusting it so you have the upper adjuster screwed in close if not all the way in so you can slowly adjust it out as it stretches. so its certainly something behind the cover. youll just harfta take it off n see what you can see. if you leave the bike on the side stand you shouldn loose a whole lot of oil in the process. some will come out but you dont need to drain it all out. i guess pull the cover n take pictures if your not sure whats going on n post them.

·
8,059 Posts
I think if I remember from back in the day some original 929's had a recall with the actuator arm breaking off where it engages the lifter arm inside. Could be that. I guess it's time to pull the cover and see what we have.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for confirming, I'll take it off this weekend and let you know what I find. That's for the tip on the oil too, that's good to know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took the cover off and didn't see anything broken. the actuator looks a little worn at the bottom where it connects to the clutch as I tried to show in the pictures. How is it supposed to engage? I tried putting it on several times turning it as I did, but didn't get any different results. I did notice that the piece in the center of the clutch was easily pushed in about a quarter inch as shown in the last picture. is that normal?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 88 Posts