Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anybody else suffered this same problem with the 99 blade or any other ?

Problem is, when in 2nd gear @ 6000rpm, I get thrown back into neutral. So far it only seems to be 2nd gear though. I even tried holding the gear in place with my foot whilst accellerating to see if it still throws me out, and you can actually feel something trying hard to push it into neutral.

A friend suggested perhaps bent selector fork ?? But I'm told this could be quite costly + engine out jobby.

Can anybody help ? It's Very annoying.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I understand. Not willing to sell it, I need it lol.

So is this an easy repair do you know ? straightenable ? replacement ? engine out ?

Appreciate any help on this one !

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Start with getting a service manual, I have found if you know how to read (I'm guessing you do since you are posting on here) and you are able to follow directions everything is able to be done by yourself on these things. Make sure you have ALL the tools you will need to get the job done BEFORE starting the job. The service manual will tell you if any special tools are needed for the job

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers !

This is definately my normal procedure, this one is just a bit new to me that's all.

Will check manual now, but i'm pretty sure it won't mention bending the shift into place.

will keep u posted

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers sinfuldragon ! good website, learn something everyday.

New shift forks $47 per peice, new rod $47 (just incase)

mmmm, worn dogs ? even if its only jumping out of 2nd ??

I'll investigate, thanks for th input.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Since second gear normaly gets the most abuse from shifting the gears don't fully engage and the dogs sometimes use the just the outer portion, this wears at an angle. After enough time the angle becomes such that when the power gets ups there, around 6000 rpm's, it causes the dogs to slip off each other. When you have the transmission out be sure to inspect all the gears and the dogs, second gear is usualy the first to wear but all the gears should be inspected. There are some companies, can't remeber the names, that will back cut the dogs to ensure proper engagement, it isn't that expensive around $120/set.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to anther edition of what happens to a 900RR tranny when you do too many clutchless upshifts :)

·
Banned
694 Posts
I disagree with the clutchless part. A clutchless upshift done correctly put no more wear on the tranny than using the clutch, in fact I think that using the clutch gives you a false sense of security, Just because you use the clutch doesn't mean you made a good shift.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Indeed, motorcycle trannys are designed to shift under a small amount of load (unlike a car tranny where there has to be practically no load at all). Speed (clutchless) shifting will actually keep your clutch plates in good shape. :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
I disagree with the clutchless part. A clutchless upshift done correctly put no more wear on the tranny than using the clutch, in fact I think that using the clutch gives you a false sense of security, Just because you use the clutch doesn't mean you made a good shift.
Rebuilding mine right now - damage due to clutchless upshifting (while riding wheelies :rolleyes: )

Cogs on the #2 gear
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/Zx11pilot/Gear.jpg

Roasted shift fork
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/Zx11pilot/PICT0030Large.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok guys, chill out. Not quite sure what it is, I'll take it to a garage asap. I use the clutch always, due to bad previous experiences, but maybe my clutch wasn't engaging properely !!
Would do it myself but limited on tools at the mo (how irretable is that !).
Once I have the solution will let you know

1 - 20 of 52 Posts