Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've got a question for you. I bought a 929rr a couple months ago that had been wrecked, completely disassembled, and in boxes. I have got it almost completely back together now, repainted fairings back to factory paint job, but I am getting no spark.

I have checked the sidestand switch, neutral switch, clutch lever switch, diode, and most of the wiring harness (checking for continuity between sensors and ECU and also all grounds). Everything else works great, display comes on, engine cranks over w/ good compression, and fuel pump pressurizes, but no spark. :idunno:

The ignition pulse generator as well as the camshaft pulse generator are working. At the coils, when the bike is turned on, there are 12V coming from the power wire. The way I understand it is that there is a constant supply of 12V to one side of the plug and the ECU grounds the other wire to make the coil spark. Knowing this, I hooked my o-scope up to the two wires at the coils, and there seems to be a pulse when cranking the engine over, but I'm not sure if it is enough of a pulse or not. Is it possible that all four coils have gone bad? I'm not sure how they were stored, but from the look of everything else, it was at least inside.

Is there anything else I should be checking? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you really think it's the coil.

Buy a coil then try switching it from one to the next.

I'd start by pulling the plug hook it up to the coil and crank it, you should see a nice big spark.

But all four being bad? Sounds wierd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, already tried that, no spark on any of them... I'm just going to find a cheapish set of coils and try it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know you said you'd checked the loom, but me and a few others on here have had very similar issues with what your describing, the cause was a corroded connecter in the main loom that consists of grouped earths, it "bells" out but has high resistance, mine was only 10Ohms and was enough to stop all four plugs sparking.

From memory there was another post about someone who had done similar to you and had 2 connectors mixed up but you'll have to search the forums for details on that one.

This post has good images on where to locate the connector in question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts