Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just went to look at a honda hornet 600 and when the bike fired up it sounded like the crank an tappets were knocking but once it warmed up it souned fine is this something i should worry about

·
Registered
159 Posts
or... Is the oil just all in the bottom of the motor for the first few seconds, until it starts to circulate, then quiets down?

Where's your oil level?

·
Registered
76 Posts
if the noise goes away once the motor is warmed, chances are it needs valve work. i would assume i has near 20k or more miles on it & the valves need redone. you know its this b/c once the metal expands with heat the noise will go away..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the feedback but the motor has only done 11.5 k so seems a bit suss to me ,im going for a test drive on the bike tomorrow so ill see what it sounds like from cold , the seller is offering a 12 month warrentry so he cant think there is to much wrong , ive even stressed my worry to him and he just said it started up on 3 cylinders hence thr knocking ..... shall i pull out ???????????

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks for the feedback but the motor has only done 11.5 k so seems a bit suss to me ,im going for a test drive on the bike tomorrow so ill see what it sounds like from cold , the seller is offering a 12 month warrentry so he cant think there is to much wrong , ive even stressed my worry to him and he just said it started up on 3 cylinders hence thr knocking ..... shall i pull out ???????????

i would be concerned unless you are a good bike mechanic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just looked at a honda hornet 2003 ..think the tank holds 17lts ,anyone know how many miles i will get ..?????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts