Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is dying regularly and takes forever to start and hesitates when first started when you push the gas pedal. I am thinking its either the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. They do a PSI test on the fuel pump to test it correct? is there a test for the regulator? I dont want to spend $70 on the regulator and its not it. plus the pump is $232 just for the pump and its a in-tank pump so i dont want to know what this will cost me.:crap:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Have you changed the fuel filter?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
luvtolean said:
Have you changed the fuel filter?
I thought of that but was doubtful. Going to do that before anything else.

The car sometimes starts perfect. then you would be driving and it would drop to like 500 rpms for 10 secs then die. would take like 3-5 mins to start it again.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
You seem to think you have a fuel starvation problem, where you always start with the filter.

Electric fuel pumps tend to be live or dead.

If it was that, your car probably would never run.

Fuel filters will allow weirdness like this.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
ND4SPD said:
:wstupid: Should be done every 10k miles or so.
10k?!?!? I just rolled 133,000. I suppose I should stop at autozone on the way home now.

I meant to do it when I did my last tune up ~1,000miles ago but its just too damn cold to do anything.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MrX954 said:
10k?!?!? I just rolled 133,000. I suppose I should stop at autozone on the way home now.

I meant to do it when I did my last tune up ~1,000miles ago but its just too damn cold to do anything.
the car has 132k on its (i am sure) origanal filter

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
stegen said:
the car has 132k on its (i am sure) origanal filter
If you don't take care of your damn car, don't start with the whining when you get problems @ 132k mi.

You're damn lucky...

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Put a bottle of Seafoam in your tank. It works very well. If it is a gas issue it is either a pressure regulator issue or the system is clogged somewhere. Seafoam can check one of those things off your list. If your pump is in-tank, your filter most likely is as well.

But your issue could just as easily be spark or air related. Your dist. cap and/or rotor could be messed up. One or more plug wire(s) could be broken/bad connection. Same with the actual plugs. Could be fouled.
Also check your PCV valve and air filter.

Sounds to me like you need to do an all around tune up.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
BDA116 said:
If your pump is in-tank, your filter most likely is as well.
Naw, usually it's on a bracket next to the tank. Car makers put it so you can get at it as it's supposed to be a commonly replaced item.

The pump will have a large mesh filter on the end as a pick up, but that shouldn't be causing the trouble.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
In addition to fuel filter run a can of ejection cleaner through it. Also some GM cars have a panel that you can remove to get at the pump from above the tank (not sure on yours but look)

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Ah, that would be "injection" cleaner there SoB.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BDA116 said:
Put a bottle of Seafoam in your tank. It works very well. If it is a gas issue it is either a pressure regulator issue or the system is clogged somewhere. Seafoam can check one of those things off your list. If your pump is in-tank, your filter most likely is as well.

But your issue could just as easily be spark or air related. Your dist. cap and/or rotor could be messed up. One or more plug wire(s) could be broken/bad connection. Same with the actual plugs. Could be fouled.
Also check your PCV valve and air filter.

Sounds to me like you need to do an all around tune up.
Seafoam? where can i get that? Napa?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had a problem like this in my truck and in my old Sentra.... It was a damn vaccume hose/line.

Actually it was two of them. One was cracked and the other was completely broke.
and in the sentra it was about 4 vaccume lines.

Might wanna check that before you get all willy nilly.

:idunno:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
stegen said:
Seafoam? where can i get that? Napa?
You should be able to find Seafoam at Napa or Autozone/Checker (whichever of it's names it is there).
It's a white metal bottle with red lettering. Usually by all the other system cleaners, but this stuff actually works well. It's $5 or so.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts