Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
There were errors in that Video.

MSD for example is most certainly legal. The box comes with a sticker with the EO on it.

Yeah, it's messed up here man.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
CBRBob said:
As long as the vehicle can pass a normal inspection, who cares what they have done, as long as it's safe on the road.
That car won't pass smog. And the penalties for that are actually quite heavy.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
ConqSoft said:
Does CA have mandatory yearly inspections? (We do, but I know some states don't.)
No.

We have a bi-annual SMOG inspection.

The stuff they were pointing out under the hood were all in violation of the "visual" inspection, modifications that directly affected the smog equip (for example, the little K&N replaces the PVC valve)...other than the errors I was talking about.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
OK, almost everything they mention on there is Smog related. The CVC section mentioned in the video (27156b) is directly related to smog control. Nothing having to do with racing.

To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with the video... the laws are not the fault of the cops, and they are using the tools they have to ticket these assholes. If you don't like it, get the law changed (yea, a naive view, but there it is).

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
navydevildoc said:
OK, almost everything they mention on there is Smog related. The CVC section mentioned in the video (27156b) is directly related to smog control. Nothing having to do with racing.
ALL of it is.

There is no law around suspension as long as the car's ride height is fine, and there's nothing hanging down. So the cop can act smart about "tuned" suspension all he wants...nothing there.

He got "profiled". Kinda asshole on the cop's part...but they are playing by the rules.

EDIT: Nitrous systems are also sometimes issued a CARB EO number to be a legal mod too.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
We can impound your vehicle inspect it at our leisure and CHARGE you for storing it (of course the bill is likely due even if innocent) if you refuse to be searched without a warrant.

Peoples Republic of California aka paradise

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
sheepofblue said:
We can impound your vehicle inspect it at our leisure and CHARGE you for storing it (of course the bill is likely due even if innocent) if you refuse to be searched without a warrant.
If you give the cop reason to have suspicion your car is illegal, yes.

Most states have similar stuff guys...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
sheepofblue said:
We can impound your vehicle inspect it at our leisure and CHARGE you for storing it (of course the bill is likely due even if innocent)
No, then you have a wrongful arrest suit, and you go buy a new S2000 with the funds won...but of course, you hate attorneys...so you might get screwed there. :poke: :D

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know this is an instructional vid, but what about your stock coil goes out and the aftermarket one is cheaper. Can you put in on there? according to the vid, No. It's BS IMO. Indiana may have it's faults but I love not having to have the cars inspected. I can see inspecting for broken lights, glass, tires, etc.... but that is rediculous.

I think their time should be spent more productively rather than harrassing motorist with mods to their rides.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Hammer said:
I know this is an instructional vid, but what about your stock coil goes out and the aftermarket one is cheaper. Can you put in on there? according to the vid, No. It's BS IMO.
Believe me, that vid was wrong about that.

I've been through several smog inspections with headers, MSD etc etc.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I'm glad I live in GA.

I used to live in Atlanta, we had auto inspections, but nothing like that. That's ridiculous.

What the officer did was indeed profiling. That's like saying all immigrants are terrorists.

I wonder if he would have taken apart an old classic Street Rod in the same manner he did the tuner car. I don't really like the tuner's, but they are picked on as much as Sportbikers.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Custom900 said:
I'm glad I live in GA.
I hate SMOG inspections too, but I like clean air. With the population density we have, we really do need smog laws.

What I don't like is the visual inspection.

If a car comes in with a blower and two carbs poking through the hood...who cares as long as the nastiness coming out of the tailpipe is clean?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
luvtolean said:
I hate SMOG inspections too, but I like clean air. With the population density we have, we really do need smog laws.

What I don't like is the visual inspection.

If a car comes in with a blower and two carbs poking through the hood...who cares as long as the nastiness coming out of the tailpipe is clean?
That's all that mattered when I lived in Atlanta. What does the car emit and does it exceed the limit?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
That MSD bol looked like a plane jane M6AL, probaly not legal for that vehicle. There may be aftermarket legal versions (basicaly it has to pass a tes and get certified, and is given an OE number. Thats what the video mentioned. Even if that MDS box has an OE number, it may not be valid for a 1993 honda civic. LTL's right about everything in that video being smog related, but they also mentioned things about street racing (big tach, shift light, racing stickers, etc" Cali has special laws pertaining to "streetracing." So those indicators probaly give them legal cause to pull you over.

Now on the the funniest part of the video...Clearly they had to put the plainclothes officer inthe car for the video...the ACLU would have had a fit if they portraied the actual type of person seen in cars like that, which is probaly 90% asian males.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts