Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 cbr900rr
Ok here's my issue, stored my bike correctly for the winter, stabil and all, went to start it and it was firing on numbers 1,2 & 4 but not number 3. Was getting gas to all 4 carbs, all clean and distributing gas evenly. Pulled plugs, the misfiring cylinder plug was soaked, obviously no spark. Cleaned it and then tested for spark and got spark. Put it back together and it ran better/all 4 cylinders firing.

Now here is my issue, the number 2 cylinder stopped firing and numbers 1,3 & 4 are firing fine. Pulled plugs again/cleaned them put it back together and it ran great. Rode for a hour or so and headed home. Got close to home and number 3 cylinder stopped firing again.

I'm thinking the coil for number 2 & 3 is on it's way out. Would I be correct in this thinking?

Plug wires look fine from outside and all other wiring looks ok.

Cliff notes, number 3 not firing, then firing, then number 2 not firing, then firing, then number 3 not firing again. Bad coil pack?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds like you're on to something. It's kinda unusual for a coil to fail, but it does happen. Like dude said, used ones are next to nothing on ebay. Hell, I just gave a set away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard that they usually don't just fail, but being a 96 and stock coil, I'm sure it's gotta be on it's last leg. From what I can tell, they usually last anywhere from 15 to 20k before they take a dump.

And to add to that, if I am correct in my thinking and what I have found online, the CDI either works or it doesn't, so I'm ruling that out for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah for sure, learned that many years ago with automobiles. That's what's so easy about owning two of the same truck. One part goes bad, swap it out with the same from the other truck, if it works then I know what to buy. LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
ever figure out what it was?

been dealing with the same thing on my 95 for a while now :/

replaced plug wires and coil pack but the problem remains. Going to mickey mouse some wires from the CDI directly to the coilpack to eliminate any chance of wire harness issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not really sure but so far so good. I ran a lot of Seafoam through my system, added a inline fuel filter between petcock and carb feeds (yes there wasn't one there), switched the coils, ran soem good gas through a few times and haven't had any issues since.

I'm beginning to think it was more of a stuck float rather than a coil issue. And I do have to say that after running Seafoam through and adding a filter, my throttle response is a heck of a lot better than ever before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found my issue! not electrical at all but rather fuel related.

After getting it to run on two cylinders, each from a different coil pack I eliminated a wiring issue from the CDI to coils. Pulled the plugs from the non firing cylinders and they we dry as a bone. Then after blowing a bunch of carb cleaner at those to carbs, one lit.

Dropped the bowls from the two carbs and they had quite a bit of debris in the bottom... green in color and hard as rocks... dropped the Slow/high speed jets only to find more of the sandy like material blocking much of the holes. Then found that one of the slow/pilot jets was completely plugged! I can imagine my intermittent problem was this stuff temporarily clogging the jets then later falling to the bottom of the bowl... going to pull of the whole carb rack and clean all the jets tonight. also installing another filter post fuel pump so I can isolate where this green rock like substance is coming from.

now just to get break a guitar string so I can clean these jets out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.