Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real reason to buy an X-ring chain instead of a good, 530 O-ring? I'm going to change my sprockets and am kicking this back and forth. After 8000 miles, my OEM chain is still in good condition. I'm obviously going to replace it when I change sprockets, but would it be worth going to a more expensive X-ring? I'm an occasional track-dayer who rides twisty-street.

I'm just wondering if a DID, 530 O-ring chain would last for awhile.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
A 520 D.I.D. ERv2 X ring will outlast the stock D.I.D. 530 O ring you got with your bike. If you do track days, why not go 520?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why then does the 929 come with a 530 chain if a good 520 will work just fine? Is a 520 make a noticeable difference? Could I ride the bike with a 520 and then with a 530 and feel a difference?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
ER : Why then does the 929 come with a 530 chain if a good 520 will work just fine?  Is a 520 make a noticeable difference?  Could I ride the bike with a 520 and then with a 530 and feel a difference?
Because it's cheaper.
Yes.
Yes, less unsprung weight is good and noticable.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I plead ignorance. I have no idea what the difference is, can someone please edumacate me about chains?

Thanks.

(Wow... I'm using this forum for tech knowledge again! yay)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nedro : Quote (ER @ June 16 2003, 1:58pm)Why then does the 929 come with a 530 chain if a good 520 will work just fine?  Is a 520 make a noticeable difference?  Could I ride the bike with a 520 and then with a 530 and feel a difference?
Because it's cheaper.
Yes.
So you've actually ridden a bike with a 520 and then one with a 530 and have been able to feel the difference?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
ER : Quote (nedro @ June 16 2003, 5:00pm)Quote (ER @ June 16 2003, 1:58pm)Why then does the 929 come with a 530 chain if a good 520 will work just fine?  Is a 520 make a noticeable difference?  Could I ride the bike with a 520 and then with a 530 and feel a difference?
Because it's cheaper.
Yes.
So you've actually ridden a bike with a 520 and then one with a 530 and have been able to feel the difference?
I changed gear ratio at the same time so I guess I don't count. On the other hand you'd be going from a 1/2' width to 3/8' width. Essentially removing 25 rollers worth of weight ( not 25 links, 25 rollers) on a 100 link chain plus the gears themselves are lighter. I don't know if you would feel it but it would be quicker no doubt.

Edit: I think it's actually going from a 3/8' to a 1/4'. If so, it would even be a bigger difference. More like loosing 33 rollers.

·
Registered
925 Posts
nedro : Quote (ER @ June 16 2003, 2:30pm)Quote (nedro @ June 16 2003, 5:00pm)Quote (ER @ June 16 2003, 1:58pm)Why then does the 929 come with a 530 chain if a good 520 will work just fine?  Is a 520 make a noticeable difference?  Could I ride the bike with a 520 and then with a 530 and feel a difference?
Because it's cheaper.
Yes.
I changed gear ratio at the same time so I guess I don't count. On the other hand you'd be going from a 1/2' width to 3/8' width. Essentially removing 25 rollers worth of weight ( not 25 links, 25 rollers) on a 100 link chain plus the gears themselves are lighter. I don't know if you would feel it but it would be quicker no doubt.

Edit: I think it's actually going from a 3/8' to a 1/4'. If so, it would even be a bigger difference. More like loosing 33 rollers.
I'm sure I couldnt tell the difference, as the ratio change was always what motivated the swap---I dont think you have to do 520, I believe all the rear 520 sprockets are Al---and they dont last all that long--There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping the steel sprockets an throwing another 530 chain on

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
He said he was changing the sprockets also.

Oh ya, almost forgot. There's nothing wrong with sawing off you exhaust at the collector either. But I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I know this o-ring/x-ring stuff is confusing, but wait till you get to the Nurberg-ring and Oster-ring stuff. sheeeze . . .

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
abtech : I know this o-ring/x-ring stuff is confusing, but wait till you get to the Nurberg-ring and Oster-ring stuff.  sheeeze . . .
HA. :p Yes, I'm preventing the suffer-ring by avoiding the wedding-ring...

Seriously though, I really did want to know the difference between an o and x ring chain. It was just a simple question.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you cut an O-Ring, it has the cross section of an 'O', and if you cut an 'X' ring, it has the cross section of an 'X'. The thinking behind the 'X' ring is it provides two sealing surfaces to keep the lubricant in the rollers while the 'O' ring only has one sealing surface. The 'X' ring is also supposed to have somewhat less resistance as the chain goes around the sprockets.

I think a 530 chain will last longer than a 520, but I don't know this from experience - I've always just used the standard 530.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts