Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know OEM is probably preferable, but I can get a bikemaster battery for my 2006 CBR600 F4i for about $60 cheaper. Is there a big difference? Is it worth it to pay the extra for a Honda OEM battery? What are your guys and gals' thoughts?

·
Registered
791 Posts
OEM isn't worth it on batteries. Yuasa, Varta, MotoBatt, whatever you find of a decent rep and at the right price.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
This was told to me by my good friend who owns three Batteries Plus stores here in Sacramento.

How much virgin lead does it contain? Yuasa uses 100% new, virgin lead.
Bikemaster uses up to 30% recycled lead.
That's what makes the difference between a battery that still has most of it's cranking amps after a couple years, or the cheaper one which will poop out in extreme conditions like heat or cold or continued cranking.
Ask your battery dealer what percent of recycled lead the battery contains. If your budget allows, buy one with 0 recycled lead.
Another question to ask, What is the Brand's failure rate? In other words, what percentage of that company's battery's are replaced due to failure. A number like 6% or 7% is a sign of a good battery. A number like 12-15% is not so good.
Try to never let the battery get full dead. That really kills the molecular activity between the lead and acid. As will overcharging it. A Battery Tender or any smart-charger will prevent overcharging during storage periods.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
OEM isn't worth it on batteries. Yuasa, Varta, MotoBatt, whatever you find of a decent rep and at the right price.

Yuasa is OEM for Honda and just about all motorcycle manufacturers.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Running a Motobatt AGM right now - been solid as a rock. Hadn't used the bike in a month, threw it on a charger, and it was in storage mode within about 2 minutes. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Running a Motobatt AGM right now - been solid as a rock. Hadn't used the bike in a month, threw it on a charger, and it was in storage mode within about 2 minutes. :thumb:

Do you mean it wouldn't start the bike after just one month sitting?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Oh it started fine (strong as ever). Just saying it hadn't depleted in that time. It took almost no charging to get it back to full.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yuasa

when my OEM **** the bed last year, I did a good share of research on what to replace it with. Yuasa was without question the most recommended, and never had anybody with anything negative to say about it. Wasn't something I wanted to roll the dice with. I've got no complaints...

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
For clarity - if you buy a Yuasa battery in a Honda box, it's OEM. If you buy a Yuasa battery in a Yuasa box, it's a pattern part. In this case I'd buy pattern parts ;)

I haven't heard of a pattern part but the Yuasa battery you buy from Yuasa is exactly the same battery that Honda bought from Yuasa.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Oh it started fine (strong as ever). Just saying it hadn't depleted in that time. It took almost no charging to get it back to full.

So it didn't actually need charging then?
The bike's charging system will charge the battery when you run the engine, you don't need to charge it externally.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
So it didn't actually need charging then?
The bike's charging system will charge the battery when you run the engine, you don't need to charge it externally.
Fully aware, but as I wasn't taking it out anywhere (it's pretty much in storage), I like to keep it on a tender when I can.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
For clarity - if you buy a Yuasa battery in a Honda box, it's OEM. If you buy a Yuasa battery in a Yuasa box, it's a pattern part. In this case I'd buy pattern parts ;)
I think amorti is saying don't spend the extra $ for OEM when you know the alternative is the exact same thing. I understood the term pattern to mean the same as aftermarket. :idunno:

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Pattern part is just a copy of a manufacturer's part (sometimes cheap, sometimes not).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks everybody, all these posts have helped extremely. I also want to thank you guys for sharing your knowledge, I learn way more from these forums than I would if I just googled the answers, so thanks for your help all the time.

Just found a
- on Amazon for $111.05. A very happy medium between the $135 the Honda dealership was charging and the $75 bikemaster my local powersports dealer was offering. So thanks for the heads up again guys.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Pattern part is just a copy of a manufacturer's part (sometimes cheap, sometimes not).

A copy made by somebody other than the original manufacturer?

OEM Honda includes stuff from hundreds of manufacturers like Michelin, Bridgestone, Yuasa, Mitsubishi, Showa, Enkei, RK, DID and NGK that Honda buys the parts from - the same parts you can also buy direct from those manufacturers.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
A copy made by somebody other than the original manufacturer?
I've typically only seen the term "pattern part" apply to body panels, linkages, etc etc. Doesn't mean to say it's not used outside of those parts though.

A part that's been taken off an OE machine, and cloned (chinese fairings for example).

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I've typically only seen the term "pattern part" apply to body panels, linkages, etc etc. Doesn't mean to say it's not used outside of those parts though.

A part that's been taken off an OE machine, and cloned (chinese fairings for example).
That's what I mean by aftermarket.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Seems my use of the term is different. To me aftermarket means for example sports shocks, or upgraded clip-ons, while pattern means replacement parts to the same specification (or similar) but without Honda on the box.

For example a Motad exhaust or Hagon shock would be a pattern exhaust as it's not for extra performance, bling nor noise just a replacement, but an Akrapovic or Ohlins would be aftermarket.

In this case pattern battery would be anything that does the same job but isn't in a Honda box. Aftermarket would mean for example one of those new LiPo batteries.

Could be I'm wrong, could be it's a regional variation (UK)

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Seems my use of the term is different. To me aftermarket means for example sports shocks, or upgraded clip-ons, while pattern means replacement parts to the same specification (or similar) but without Honda on the box.

For example a Motad exhaust or Hagon shock would be a pattern exhaust as it's not for extra performance, bling nor noise just a replacement, but an Akrapovic or Ohlins would be aftermarket.

In this case pattern battery would be anything that does the same job but isn't in a Honda box. Aftermarket would mean for example one of those new LiPo batteries.

Could be I'm wrong, could be it's a regional variation (UK)
:plus1: :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts