Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone. Havnt been on here very much lately, a little thing called life keeps getting in the way. Anywho, my manual says that it calls for 120 links, but after reviewing previous posts, most indicate that I shopuld go with 108. What gives. Any insight would be awesome!!

Later,
Danny

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
According to JT it's 525 108 links.
JT Sprockets: Catalogue=

Personally, I just order them long and cut them to length.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you Bladeracer!

I believe that im gonna go with the 108. For now, I want to change the chain and sprokets but can't afford to invest in the tool at the moment (i.e. chain breaker / rivet tool)

Thing is, I can't help but think what other erroneus info is in that manual??

Have a great day!!
Danny

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Thank you Bladeracer!

I believe that im gonna go with the 108. For now, I want to change the chain and sprokets but can't afford to invest in the tool at the moment (i.e. chain breaker / rivet tool)

Thing is, I can't help but think what other erroneus info is in that manual??

Have a great day!!
Danny
It's not erroneous, 120 links is simply a stock size.
Confirm the length is correct before ordering if you're going to order it cut to 108 links.
Are you running stock gearing?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, 16/43 (?) Stock... What I dont get is that if stock links are 120, and I put on 108... a 12 link diff. shorter, wouldnt the tire be way more foward???

I think I might be missing something here...

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Yes, 16/43 (?) Stock... What I dont get is that if stock links are 120, and I put on 108... a 12 link diff. shorter, wouldnt the tire be way more foward???

I think I might be missing something here...
There is generally only one length that will fit with your particular sprockets and that is the exact length you will need. Chain comes in stock lengths from the manufacturers, and rather than keep every length in stock it's more sensible to keep stock of the longer lengths that can then be cut shorter to fit. I generally get 120's. If you need 108 links then 110 will be too long and 106 will be too short.
You want the shortest chain you can fit around your sprockets with the wheel fully forward in the adjusting slots.
Stock should be 525 by 108 links _according_ to JT.
Before ordering a chain a specific length, I would confirm it's correct to fit your bike. At least ask them if it's correct so you can return it if they're wrong.
525 is an odd size these days so I'd recommend going to either 530 or 520.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you soo much Bladeracer! Im pretty sure this is a dead horse, but what advantages, aside from a sliight weight reduction and better availability, does a 520 offer?

Danny

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Thank you soo much Bladeracer! Im pretty sure this is a dead horse, but what advantages, aside from a sliight weight reduction and better availability, does a 520 offer?

Danny
Over the 525, not much in weight I would think.
But 520 and 530 are a lot easier to source which probably makes them cheaper as well. If you're going to use a chain every year or two it's worth looking into.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts