Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I just got a copy (legal license) of Office 2003, along with some other stuff from MS. Has anyone here used/beta tested it? Thoughts? I'm going to install it, but would like some opinions/insight. Hopefully it's more than just more MS bloat/bugware

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
NO, but does anyone know if that translates into a new version for OS X coming also? I'm about to buy it and don't wanna if there's a new version coming for 'the other' OS...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ccwilli3 : NO, but does anyone know if that translates into a new version for OS X coming also?  I'm about to buy it and don't wanna if there's a new version coming for 'the other' OS...
The licensing package (a folder with about 30 MS CDs) also contains 'Mac Office v. X'. Maybe it's what you're talking about

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2OHOH2954 : Quote (ccwilli3 @ Oct. 29 2003, 4:43pm)NO, but does anyone know if that translates into a new version for OS X coming also?  I'm about to buy it and don't wanna if there's a new version coming for 'the other' OS...
The licensing package (a folder with about 30 MS CDs) also contains 'Mac Office v. X'. Maybe it's what you're talking about
Yep, that is it:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/officex/officex.aspx?pid=officex

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have Standard Edition running on several workstations at one client. The major install to the remaining clients will be tomorrow, using an admin install to install from.

Aside from the layout, it functions much the same. Visio 2003 is enough different that Visio 2003 docs won't open in Visio XP.

I've had it running on my laptop for a couple of weeks now, works just fine. Won't install to Win98 or older though.

Keith

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
2OHOH2954 : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Oct. 29 2003, 4:53pm)Quote (ccwilli3 @ Oct. 29 2003, 4:43pm)NO, but does anyone know if that translates into a new version for OS X coming also?  I'm about to buy it and don't wanna if there's a new version coming for 'the other' OS...
Yep, that is it:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/officex/officex.aspx?pid=officex
yeah, thats been out a while, what I mean is will there be a 2003 'Mac OS X' version coming or will it stay the same for a while?

Thanks for the attempt though, I realize there aren't many OS X guys around here...

Got X.3??

·
Registered
626 Posts
2OHOH2954 : So today I just got a copy (legal license) of Office 2003, along with some other stuff from MS. Has anyone here used/beta tested it? Thoughts? I'm going to install it, but would like some opinions/insight. Hopefully it's more than just more MS bloat/bugware
I REALLY like office 2003, Outlook 2003 kicks ass.  Cached mode exchange is cool plus I've been messing around with SharePoint Server, Office 2003 has built in SharePoint features that are awesome.  Best release of Office ever but uninstall your older version of Office first, if you don't it sometimes leaves both versions on your machine.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I have been using it for a couple of months and it has several improvements and lot's of transparent integration between components (better than the 2 prior versions).

·
Registered
91 Posts
BladeRider, Did you do the typical install?

I always go with the custom and select Run all from computer. I then go in and deselect anything I won't need/don't want running. This method also asks if you want to have the previous versions removed and doesn't ask for the Farkin CD everytime you use a new tool.

Keith

·
Registered
626 Posts
Keith_929 : BladeRider, Did you do the typical install?

I always go with the custom and select Run all from computer.  I then go in and deselect anything I won't need/don't want running.  This method also asks if you want to have the previous versions removed and doesn't ask for the Farkin CD everytime you use a new tool.

Keith
Custom Install, I'm not sure why it left Office XP installed.  I don't leave the install files on the HD, I leave the ISO image and Alcohol 120%, makes it much easier to do installs on all my virtual machines.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, but try to run a virus scanner in Groupwise. There are few options and they are all expensive. Smaller clients can't afford it. Novell forced itself out of the small business networks.

Keith

·
Registered
803 Posts
Am I the only person who hates Office? Word in particular. The fckuing thing makes changes to my document I don't want, and then when I want something changed, it won't. I hate it with a passion. It's like trying to tie your shoes or wipe your ass with a space suit on..

Give me AtariWriter on my old Atari 800, and I am a happy ####### camper. Actually, notepad is my word processor of choice in the windows environment.
Fig (Grrrr....)

·
Registered
626 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Quote (BladeRider @ Oct. 29 2003, 8:53pm) Cached mode exchange is cool
Novell's had that in GroupWise for years!  Just another thing they $tole from Novell, kinda like the Active Directory idea

I guess Novell came up with LDAP directories then huh, I know some old Vines admins that might disagree.  And GroupWise is the biggest piece of Poo out there.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
BladeRider : And GroupWise is the biggest piece of Poo out there.
Not if it's configured right......we go months without a single glitch on GW 6.0 with users that beat it up left and right. It took quite a bit of work to get it there, but it's great. I went from a 'can't stand it' attitude to a 'wow, it's awesome' attitude

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
The Visio users I know say 2003 is much much better. The PP, Word, and Excel stuff isn't supposed to be much different, (and any self-respecting ME hates Visio) so I'm not too motivated to get it.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Quote (BladeRider @ Oct. 29 2003, 8:53pm) Cached mode exchange is cool
Novell's had that in GroupWise for years!  Just another thing they $tole from Novell, kinda like the Active Directory idea
ummm the active directory wasn't stolen from Novell, they were just the first to implement the x.500 standard in anything other than Unix. The active directory concept was defined at least 10 years before Novell introduced 4.X in the late 90s.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The users at my client that uses Visio didn't like the XP version as much as the 2000. They are just starting to use the 2003 so I am sure to hear a lot about what they think is wrong. They do Patent applications so they use it for process layout more than anything.

Keith

1 - 20 of 20 Posts