Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd take advantage of the decent weather here in the UK. After only 40 miles she just stopped! No electrics at all....anywhere, nothing! Checked the ignition fuse and it had blown. The 15 amp fuse (on the circuit under the Battery) had all but MELTED too!

I replace both and she ran for about 30 secs then fused again!

We don't get much decent weather here so all help appreciated that might get me back on the road!

Cheers!

Tony...

·
Registered
737 Posts
What model bike do you have?

Did the bike start to stutter and lose power prior to dying?

My 95 had a rusted regulator/rectifier plug, so that only one of the three stator wires was physically making contact. Check the plug fully and place some dilectric grease on there. If the plug is rusted, you'll need to replace it. If worse comes to worse, you can just hollow out the existing plug and push some spade terminals on there.

If the plug is ok, I's suggest that it is your regulator rectifier. One tip when replacing is to run a separate (thicker) ground wire directly back to the battery. Also, the aftermarket rectifiers have an inbuilt heatsink that helps with cooling.......the OEM versions don't have this and they get exceedingly hot.

Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After noticing a burning smell and sizzling sound I traced a problem to the CDI unit. When connected to the loom I can actually see a glow and smell coming from inside the unit which eventually blows the 10amp ignition fuse. In fact there is a constant 9amp load to the ignition terminals in the fuse box when the starter switch is on too - not right I think!

What would you recommened next as I can't be sure the problem is actually in the CDI itself can I? Can you help with this guys as I am potentially looking at £480 for a replacement CDI...!

Thanks,

Tony...

·
Registered
272 Posts
When the rec reg went on my 95 it just stopped charging completly, it would just cut out at the lights and be totally dead on the button, real fun when your pointing uphill lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts