Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been asked numerous times but I changed the oil on my new 919 this afternoon and the owner manual says that after the initial 600 mile change that regular routine changes should be done every 8000 miles!:eek:
I've had bikes for a quite a few years and this is the 1st one that had an interval that long. I've always done it every 3k.
What gives? Can I go this long between changes or should I stick with the tried and true 3K?

Thanks;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
my 07 CBR1000RR calls for the same thing. no way would i wait for 8K, even with track day's, commuting, and group rides i change at 3K. i use the Repsol semi/synth and have had good luck so far. i don't doubt the motor would do just fine at 8K changes i just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
8K huh? I know my 1987 acura legend had an oil change interval of 7500 miles. At the time it seemed pretty crazy.

Oils have gotten so much better than what they were in the 70's and 80's. Apparently, from what I've read, they have made some huge leaps in the last 5 years or so.

Maybe 8K is ok. I think oil related engine wear is becomming a thing of the past.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like maybe 5k at the very maximum, but I'll probably still change it closer to 3k anyway. Oil is still kinda cheap.....compared to a ragged-out motor ;)
Thanks for the input :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts