Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i went to change my oil tonite... i picked up one of those socket oil filter gigs... ... how the fark am i supposed to get that thing behind the pipes?? facing the bike, i can slip it behind the pipes on the right hand side... but there doesn't seem to be enough room to get it on the filter... ideas, suggestions? help.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Critzy,

I can only assume you didn't purchase the Honda oil filter cap style wrench. It's rather short (that is, doesn't drop down over the end of the filter all that far). It relies on its shape to mate perfectly with the OEM filter.

The Honda piece is high quality chromed steel and has a welded on nut which allows you to turn the cap via an open end wrench or by inserting a 3/8' drive socket extension into it.

The Honda cap style wrench easily slips between the first and second header tube when going through the front of the fairing (behind the wheel, where the radiator is). From there it's just a ratchet and socket extension away from coming off.

Other guys here have lucked out with relatively cheap cap style wrenches purchased from automotive stores, but for the twenty or so bucks this thing cost me, I'd not be without it.

Heading for bed now, but I'll check back in the a.m. to see where you're at.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
TraumaOne : Drill a hole thru the oil filter and stick a screwdriver thru it
Drill...now that is precise.  Try a strap type filter wrench...one that swivels will get you in there nicely.  BTW FORGET about the 20 ft lbs torque the book/manual/filter calls for. Oil the new seal, hand tight plus another 1/2-3/4 turn with your wrench.  IMHO.

J

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chain : Critzy,

I can only assume you didn't purchase the Honda oil filter cap style wrench. It's rather short (that is, doesn't drop down over the end of the filter all that far). It relies on its shape to mate perfectly with the OEM filter.

The Honda piece is high quality chromed steel and has a welded on nut which allows you to turn the cap via an open end wrench or by inserting a 3/8' drive socket extension into it.

The Honda cap style wrench easily slips between the first and second header tube when going through the front of the fairing (behind the wheel, where the radiator is).  From there it's just a ratchet and socket extension away from coming off.

Other guys here have lucked out with relatively cheap cap style wrenches purchased from automotive stores, but for the twenty or so bucks this thing cost me, I'd not be without it.

Heading for bed now, but I'll check back in the a.m. to see where you're at.
bah, one i have musn't be a honda one.. it doesn't have a nut on it.. just an opening for a 3/8 drive to fit in... and it fits right on a oil filter.. but the lips are too friggin deep to get around it.. reckon i'll hafta cut it.. i'll throw up a pic of it tomorrow. bah.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Critz : ok, i went to change my oil tonite... i picked up one of those socket oil filter gigs... ... how the fark am i supposed to get that thing behind the pipes??  facing the bike, i can slip it behind the pipes on the right hand side... but there doesn't seem to be enough room to get it on the filter... ideas, suggestions? help.
Ah yes, the never ending trials and tribulations of .org members trying to change the oil on their bikes.

I believe this becomes a real simple task if you have the right tools.  I have tried using what you describe as a Quote ...socket oil filter gigs... (I believe it's called a oil filter cap? ) with success, but was not happy with it at all.  You usually can't get a snug fit on the oil filter and end up damaging the old oil fiter taking it off, which is kind of scary b/c if you damage it to a point where you cannot get it off.  You are basically screwed.

I happen to have something I refer to as a 'Toyota Tool' (sorry, don't know the exact name of the tool ) laying around in my tool box.  I used it specifically to take off the oil filter on my old Toyota Corolla FX-16 GT-S (I know it was a lame car, but it was my only car back in the day when I was dead poor).

Using this 'Toyota Tool', I am able to get the oil filter off the bike with great ease because it fits in between the middle of the header pipes perfectly.  The only draw back is that you can only get one 1/4 of a full rotation at a time.  But then you don't need that many rotations to get the oil filter off.  You just need to get it loose enough to take it off by hand.

I have put links to the pics of my 'Toyota Tool' (feel stupid calling it that, but don't know its' correct name )

BTW, I have a 2002 954, so I'm pretty sure the tool will work for you.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
interestin device. I'll hafta have a gander round the auto parts store tomorrow...

i will however take this socket back to performance honda.. and maybe ask them what ####in magic tricks they use to get it to work....

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Critz : Quote (ccwilli3 @ May 20 2003, 11:09pm)just get a 'mechanix' glove, grip and turn!
umm is that some kinda 'speshul' glove? i can barely get my fingers in between the pipes..  don't see how to get my hands.
huh huh huhuhuhuhuhuhu... (butthead laugh)

Grab it around the 'base' with an 'overhand' grip!

Its just a glove with a rubber/tacky palm that doesn't slip! Just grab it, from the right side I think is the easiest and twist the hell out of it! Its probably on their tight, or it could be like flasher's at jennings and pretty much just spin right off!

·
Registered
551 Posts
ccwilli3 : Quote (Critz @ May 20 2003, 11:12pm)Quote (ccwilli3 @ May 20 2003, 11:09pm)just get a 'mechanix' glove, grip and turn!
umm is that some kinda 'speshul' glove? i can barely get my fingers in between the pipes..  don't see how to get my hands.
huh huh huhuhuhuhuhuhu...  (butthead laugh)

Grab it around the 'base' with an 'overhand' grip!  

Its just a glove with a rubber/tacky palm that doesn't slip!  Just grab it, from the right side I think is the easiest and twist the hell out of it!  Its probably on their tight, or it could be like flasher's at jennings and pretty much just spin right off!  
Or just use a pair of latex gloves. That's what I used to help me get a grip on my cousin's 2002 F4i (and you thought the 929/954 header pipes were tight) oil filter to get it off.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
fumbducker : Quote (TraumaOne @ May 20 2003, 9:57pm)Drill a hole thru the oil filter and stick a screwdriver thru it
Drill...now that is precise.  Try a strap type filter wrench...one that swivels will get you in there nicely.  BTW FORGET about the 20 ft lbs torque the book/manual/filter calls for. Oil the new seal, hand tight plus another 1/2-3/4 turn with your wrench.  IMHO.

J
This is exactly what I do, along with someone's suggestion (HondaGal?, HondaGalToo?) of using a preformed bit of foil to drain the oil leakage OVER the headers and into the drain pan.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Bacchus : Quote (fumbducker @ May 20 2003, 7:19pm)Quote (TraumaOne @ May 20 2003, 9:57pm)Drill a hole thru the oil filter and stick a screwdriver thru it

J
This is exactly what I do, along with someone's suggestion (HondaGal?, HondaGalToo?) of using a preformed bit of foil to drain the oil leakage OVER the headers and into the drain pan.
Drilling to complete the task of changing oil and oil filter seems like a little overkill, if not scary.

Eh, but then what do I know. I'm just a nerdy software engineer that needs to read a book in order to work on my bike.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Calling mr_rua - please go back and reread. I was quoting fumbducker, not TraumaOne who was being facetious .

·
Registered
551 Posts
Bacchus : Calling mr_rua - please go back and reread.  I was quoting fumbducker, not TraumaOne who was being facetious   .
Argh! Damn those confusing quote blocks! I say, damn those confusing quote blocks!

Yeah, I admit it. I didn't read carefully and responded with great haste.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I just take mine to the dealer. No worries. No dirty hands. No wondering if I have the right oil filter or amount of oil. I don't mind paying for the quality service I receive from them.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Hit the weight room and it 6 moths to a year come back and get a death grip on it and turn.

Seriously, I just cleaned off the filter and my hand (reduce slippage), sat on the right hand side of the bike, got a good overhand grip (palm facing down) with my right hand and turned. BTW, righty tighty, lefty loosee or something like that.

Hey I'm a computer geek too, AND I used to work at a gas station! I can pay my bills AND fix my car! Although I must admit I'm not REAL good at either. Just good enough I guess.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts