Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to change my oil today, but it appears that the drain plug is stripped!   Any information on how to remove a stripped drain plug?

C'mon can anyone help me out, PLEASE!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Stripped, as in the outside? So you can't get your wrench on it without it slipping?

If so, how rounded off is it? Have you tried a similarly sized (but smaller) standard wrench/socket (with a hammer if need be)? Have you tapped it lightly with a hammer? You might need to grind some faces onto the plug (or make the rounded ones more pronounced), and take a good wrench to it. Of course, you'll need a new plug.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Teeth. Use your teeth. Molars work best.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My buddy is coming over with some vice grips to help me out, but all of the cycle places around here SUCK! They don't stock the drain plug, and they all seem to think I ruined the crank case.

Just so you all know. The plug is not moving, since the head of it is stripped.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The vice grips did not work. The head of the screw is totally stripped now. Any advice is appreciated unless it is some dumbass wise crack!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
...then all you've got left is to grind it into a [] so that the visegrips will have something to grab on to.

...or you could grind a slot in the plug, but that's the worse option, I think.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes. Use a Dremel to grind 2 flats so that you get an open end wrench on it. If you can get a pipe wrench in there that would be another option. Who the hell torqued that thing? For future reference, a 6 point socket won't strip a stubborn bolt like a 12 point does.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried Gator Grips, but they did not work! Will drilling it out cause any damage to the bike?

Thanks for the all the help. This really sucks right now!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Try running the engine for a little while too. If you changed the oil last time when the engine was warm then the bolt and engine case have shrunk and will tighten the threads. It might be easier to get the bolt off if you warm up the engine a little...it's worked for me a couple times.

-Shrub

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
At this point it seems to be the only way. DO NOT use a small easy out. You will simply break the easy out then have to take it to the person you should have taken it to from the begining.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been trying everything, but nothing is working. I have changed the oil ticw before, and I have never had this problem.

The vice grips are not able to grab it right now. So, how long should I let it run? Which dremel should I get?

Thanks for all the help. You're all helping ease the pain.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I don't think a dremel is tough enough. Yes, it'll work, but you'll go through a bunch of bits and lots of sweat before getting it done.

Try something like this:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If temperature is the issue then you should get it as hot as you had it the last time you changed it. If it was cold the last time you changed it then temperature is not the issue. Metal expands with temperature so the threads go from pushing to pulling or vice versa. In order to make it easiest you want to have it at the same temp that you tightened the bolt down on last. It's not THAT critical though. You will still probably have to use one of the other methods suggested. Just trying to make it a little easier to back that thing out.

-Shrub

1 - 20 of 29 Posts